𝐨𝐧𝐞 ✧ :-゜・.

-: ✧ :-

𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐨𝐧𝐞 : 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐚𝐰𝐚𝐤𝐞𝐧𝐢𝐧𝐠

────────────

     𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐌𝐎𝐑𝐍𝐈𝐍𝐆 𝐋𝐈𝐆𝐇𝐓 𝐅𝐈𝐋𝐓𝐄𝐑𝐄𝐃 𝐓𝐇𝐑𝐎𝐔𝐆𝐇 𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐏𝐄𝐄𝐋𝐈𝐍𝐆 𝐂𝐑𝐄𝐌𝐄 𝐖𝐈𝐍𝐃𝐎𝐖𝐒, 𝐀𝐒 𝐀𝐃𝐄𝐋𝐈𝐍𝐄 𝐐𝐔𝐀𝐑𝐓𝐙 𝐀𝐋𝐑𝐄𝐀𝐃𝐘 𝐒𝐀𝐓 𝐎𝐍 𝐇𝐄𝐑 𝐁𝐄𝐃, 𝐌𝐔𝐓𝐓𝐄𝐑𝐈𝐍𝐆 𝐀 𝐒𝐈𝐋𝐄𝐍𝐓 𝐏𝐑𝐀𝐘𝐄𝐑. Her eyes were sealed shut, as she spoke a simple amen, hoping hat any god out there would hear her, and answer her small prayer. She didn't pray for much, simply that her younger siblings, Opal and Caspian, wouldn't get reaped today. That they would be spared from the dark depths and tortures of the arena, and would return safely home today. But still, Adeline had a feeling, like she did every year this same, cruel day, the day of the annual reaping.

Last year's games had been quite the event, as fourteen-year-old Finnick Odair won, the youngest Victor ever in Hunger Games history. Adeline wasn't sure why, but it gave her a small flicker of hope that maybe, just maybe, if she were to be thrown into the arena, she'd be able to put up some kind of a fight before dying. A sigh left Adeline's pink lips as she looked over at her twelve-year-old sister Opal, who was still asleep. A small smile graced her lips, as she watched her sister sleep peacefully.

Adeline slowly pushed off the small twin bed, as she walked over to her sister's bed. "Opal, it's time to wake up," she spoke softly, rubbing her sister's arm softly. Her sister opened her eyes slowly, smiling up at her. "Okay," she whispered sleepily, and Adeline left her sister's side, as she walked to their shared dresser, opening one of the drawers, revealing a pale, dusty pink sundress she'd been gifted last year. 

She could hear her sister climb out of bed, as Adeline quickly stripped off her nightgown, and pulled the pink dress over her head. She brushed it down, before nimbly moving to grab a hairbrush, as she began to brush out her long, dark hair.

Adeline quickly set the hairbrush back down, as she exited the shared room, as she slowly made her way downstairs and into the Quartz family kitchen. Three bowls of oatmeal sat at the table, one already half eaten by her younger brother Caspian, who had already made his way downstairs. "'morning Casp," Adeline said softly, offering her brother a small smile before grabbing her bowl of oatmeal as she began to eat. Her parents slipped into the kitchen, sad smiles painted on their faces, as the whole house was left in an agonizing silence.

The small pitter patter of footsteps could be heard, as Opal Quartz quickly made her way downstairs. A pale yellow dress clung to her thin frame, as she made her way over to where her two siblings were, as she grabbed her bowl of oatmeal, as she began to devour it. The children ate in silence, as the upcoming events were enough for the whole family to remain silent.

One by one, the children finished, as they slowly finished their breakfast, as they sadly slipped on their shoes, refusing to let tears fall from their faces. Adeline's father opened the door, as the Quartz family slowly made their way out the door. 

They began the walk towards the Justice Hall, in silence, as they passed by the dull scenery of District Five. Not much beauty could be found, and even at night, barely any stars could be seen. They barely had any Victors at all, so why even hope this year they might have a chance?