fourteen

first snow, exams and then came..

winter break.

"jingle bells, jingle bells, jingle all the way.." the speaker boomed as i messed up putting frosting on my cupcake. "ah— miss hyerin!" kelly politely yelled at me, i pouted as i let her take the plastic of frosting, saying "i give up." with my hands up. kelly chuckled and did the frosting, such a professional for a 5 year old. i watched as mom a.k.a. my aunt, kelly's mom, brought another set of freshly baked cupcakes towards us, placing it on the counter.

the speaker started ringing out loud, and that's my phone connected to it. mom nodded to let me know that i can take it, i ran to the living room and looked at who was calling. song mingi. is he going to greet me merry christmas?

i accepted the call, "what's up?" i greeted, then mingi sighed on the other line, "kyunghee has plans later at christmas eve," he said in the dryest tone ever. i gasped, like bro, everybody's busy at christmas eve, and you two aren't even dating to cancel each others' family plans.

"my family already left without me." mingi added, and i was left speechless, should i let him come over? since it's just the three of us at home with all this food. i hesitated to tell him that, but did anyway. "do you want to come over?" i asked. i heard him lowkey squeal in happiness, hearing loud stomps on the other line like he was jumping, "sure!" he cheerfully replied.

"a friend?" mom asked, whilst i let him on speaker phone, mingi ended the call as i nodded at mom, "he's head over heels for kyunghee." i answered, chuckling as i walk back to the kitchen with her.

"oh, i forgot." i almost cursed out loud due to realization, mom looked at me with her brows raised, putting her plastic gloves on, "we're going to the orphanage later, right?" i asked them, and remembered that we were making the cupcakes for the children there. i'm such a dumbass, i face-palmed. i forgot that kelly was from that orphanage and she wanted to spend christmas there this year.

"why? you having your friend over tonight?" mom asked, i shook my head, "i should probably tell him i'm busy, huh?" i asked as an answer. mom smiled at me and said, "i can go with kelly and you two can hang out." i smiled widely because i knew i had the coolest mom ever. but anyways, i should prepare for later today.

mingi handed me hot chocolate he bought from the café, my face twitched in annoyance knowing that he asked me my favorite drink that day but didn't use the knowledge today. i guess he forgot? whatever, this is why seonghwa is superior, i thought, but felt bitter right after because i remembered that seonghwa fucking ghosted me, that's why i'm spending christmas eve with mingi today.

"thanks.. hope you didn't make them put too much sugar in it." i complained, mingi answered as he finished sipping on his drink, "i actually let them put a lot, since you look so gloomy." he said. i took a sip at that moment and my throat almost split in half at how hot and sweet it is, but maybe i'm just being overdramatic? it actually tastes good. i still prefer coffee, though.

we stood outside the café since it was already about to close. 11 pm and it's freezing out here, i wish i could tell mingi to hold my hand or something, but nah. we're best friends, you know. mingi and i were silent as fuck, just awkwardly taking sips at our hot choco. i want to ask him how it's going with kyunghee but i'm too naive to ask.

"by the way.. what's that you're carrying?" i asked him instead, to break the ice, pointing at the paperbag in his hands. "oh," mingi seemed glad that i finally asked, "it's a present, for you." he answered, then smiled with hot chocolate still on his upper lip. i covered my mouth, gasping, and then sarcastically said, "oh my god, that's so nice of you!"

he gave me the paperbag like i didn't just make fun of him, "what is it?" i asked him, he shook his head — "you'll know when you open it." he replied. i pouted, i guess he wants it to be a mystery, knowing i'll only get to open this when i get home.

"i'm going to ask for a refill while they're still open." he told me, then he dashed inside the store whilst i just looked at him. now's my chance to look at the present he has for me! but bruh, he didn't go back inside on purpose to make me open it secretly, right? i peeked inside but i couldn't actually see it because it was sealed, so now i put my cup on the table and proceeded to rip the seal apart to see the inside, i looked inside the café and mingi was busy chatting with the girl on the counter, phew.

i picked up the box inside. a mug. i chuckled without my control, A MUG, really?? i almost wanted to throw it away but i'm not that type of person, so i just put it back in the bag, then felt like i put the box on top of something inside, i pulled the other thing out and it was a pack of freaking coffee beans.

my body paused for a whole two seconds as i stared at the coffee beans. i guess he didn't completely forget..? i'm really happy he thought about this. it feels like he cares, like, a lot. makes me feel important and warm inside. but what kind of christmas present is this? WHO THE HECK GIVES COFFEE BEANS IN CHRISTMAS?— ANYWAY— i sticked the seal back on to make it look brandnew, then i stood like i did earlier, taking one more sip on the hot chocolate. that's when the café's door opened with mingi walking towards me
with his refilled cup.

snow.

"oh! snow!" mingi cheerfully said as he stops walking, looking up with one hand open, just like how kyunghee said it last time. i couldn't help but smile at the sight of him being extremely happy with it, "it's freaking snowing!!" he added, his breath leaving a trail in the air, dissipating in a split second. he looked at me with the widest smile ever, then exclaimed — "hyerin!"

i realized i was staring at him. i'm a weirdo, i almost face-palmed, but two of my hands were occupied. oh well. "merry christmas?"

a/n: 200+ reads y'all!!!!!! thank you very much!!!!!!!