Chapter 19

"Keefe! Get off the couch and get up here!" Sophie screamed down the stairs.

"Coming!" After a few minutes, Keefe appeared in their room, out of breath."What;s going on Foster?"

"The kids are finally asleep. We actually have a chance to wrap presents!" She looked at his stained tunic. "What took you so long getting up here?"

"Um, I had to check on the girls?" Keefe replied, but it was more like a question.

"Did you eat the mallowmelt I made? That was for Christmas Eve Keefe!" He smiled guiltily.

"And worst of all, you ate it without me!" He pulled a plate out from behind his back. Sophie lunged for it. "It still doesn't make up for it!" she said with a mouth full of mallowmelt.

"Sure, Foster" Keefe smirked. She tossed a roll of wrapping paper at him.

"Come on and help me wrap!" He sighed and started to grab something from the pile of presents in Sophie's closet.

"Are these all for the girls?"

"No, the Vackers and the Diznees and, well, basically all our friends and their parents wanted to do Christmas this year. We're having it at Everglen."

"Sounds fun!"

"It will be, but it also means we have to wrap a billion presents!" Sophie groaned and fell onto the towering pile."

"How about we wrap over mallowmelt and movies then?" Keefe suggested.

"Is this another plot to get mallowmelt?" Sophie asked, suspicious.

"Well, yeah, but it would also be fun!" Sophie rolled her eyes.

"Fine" Sophie gave him a quick kiss before loading his arms with all the wrapping paper and presents. "But since it was your idea, you get to carry it!" Keefe groaned but relented. After nine trips, everything was downstairs.

"What do you want to watch?"

"Mmm, pick out a movie I'll like. I have no idea what any of your human movies are like."

Sophie seemed to know what all her friends would like in human movies. Biana adored romcoms, Fitz preferred sports, Dex liked nerdy movies like star wars, Linh liked feel-good or Disney movies, Tam liked horror movies, and Keefe liked action with some comedy. They had watched some of the marvel movies together, and he really liked them. She picked out Spiderman: Homecoming from the pile.

"You'll like this one. Spiderman's one of my favorites." They watched the movie and two more, wrapping late into the night. Partway through Thor: Ragnarok, Sophie fell asleep on Keefe's shoulder.

Keefe POV: (because I wanted to *shrugs*)

Foster's head rested on my shoulder. I could hear her steady breathing. The only time she ever looked peaceful was when she was asleep. Even then only sometimes.

I brushed a loose hair out of her eyes. Since becoming a mother of toddlers, her hair was never more than down or in a messy bun. She hadn't worn high heels since their wedding, and the word dress sent her running. Still, I loved her more than I'd ever thought was possible. She was my Foster.

I turned off the TV and carried her up the stairs. As I set her down on the bed, her eyes opened slightly.

"Thanks. Love you Keefe." She slipped back into sleep. She didn't know it, but she had been the only person to ever say those words to me, other than my daughters.

"Love you too, Foster."

Okay, so that got sappy. Sorry about the short chapter, but the next will be a Christmas one. I know that it's April, but I needed new chapter ideas, and this was what I could come up with. Next chapter I'll be revealing a fun chapter coming in the next week or two! (:

Thanks for reading!