chapter 24

i'm sorry, but i just love the word thrice

Percy woke up first. Annabeth was in a bed next to his with a respiratory mask over her mouth.

"Oh, Percy, are you okay?" he heard his mom cry.

Percy blinked once. Twice. Thrice. "Mom? Where are we?"

"In the hospital, sweetie. But don't worry, you're both alive, so it's all good. I'm gonna go tell the nurse you're wake, okay?"

"Sure, mom," he replied. When his mom left the room, Percy realized that Annabeth was bearly breathing in her sleep. The silence and slow breaths were unbearable. He hated seeing Annabeth in this state.

He tried to get up, but he couldn't really move. Then he remembered: windowpane, hand-holding, falling. Hard.

"Percy Jackson?" he heard, as a tall, lean woman entered the room. She had black hair that was beginning to turn gray, and swamp-green eyes. She was probably 45-years-old.

Percy nodded as he noticed her nametag: Julie.

"Well," the nurse, Julie, said, "you've got broken ribs, but they've been healing well, and they should be better real soon. You've got a broken ankle and a severe concussion. We recommend no physical activity for the next 10 weeks, and an appointment every 2 weeks to see your progress. Is that all right with you, Mr. Jackson?"

Percy nodded, knowing that he wouldn't be able to swim for a long time.

-time-skip-to-an-hour-later-

Nurse Julie was checking his heart rate and other medical... thingies.

"Ma'am, why isn't Annabeth awake yet?" Percy asked.

"Oh." Julie's face seemed to droop. "Well, when you two fell, she was at the bottom, giving her a harder impact. Plus, you landed on top of her, which lead to your fall being cushioned, but hurt Ms. Chase even more. I'm sorry to tell you this, Mr. Jackson, but Annabeth is in a coma."

Percy's mind went blank. A coma? She might never wake up! She might miss New Year's or Christmas. She might miss years of school and love and fun. But with her in her coma, Percy was the one who would suffer from guilt, pain, and a broken heart.

"How-how long until she wakes up?" Percy asked, shaken up.

"We're not sure," the nurse replies, "but from the impact and the hight of the fall, she'll be like this for at least a week or two."

Percy looked at his mom, and she gave him a forced smile. "Percy," his mom, Sally, began, "you've been out for two days. You were in a mini-coma yourself."

Percy's face drooped. He didn't care about that because he was awake. All he cared about was Annabeth. She was hurt, and might not even wake up. This sucked. And it was all his fault. If he'd just waited for Leo to come home from his trip instead of asking Calypso for her help, and then telling Annabeth that he'd decoded the message, none of this would've happened.

The nurse walked out of the room, and Percy was left alone with his mom.

"What time is it?" Percy asked.

"11:47 a.m. You're being discharged tomorrow afternoon," his mother answered.

Percy nodded. His mom tried again; "I got some of your friends to come and visit you and Annabeth."

Percy smiled. His mom really tried too hard oftentimes. "Thanks, mom."

At that moment, Jason, Piper, Nico and Hazel walked it. Talk about perfect timing.

"Hey, bro," Jason said, smiling.

Nico slapped him. "Do you have any idea how worried we were?"

Percy chuckled. "Sorry?"

"I'll leave you guys alone," his mom said, leaving the room.

After that, all Percy did was explain what happened, and both of they're situations.

-time-skip-to-tomorrow-afternoon-

Sally was putting all the medical things they'd need in a bag, and Percy was mentally preparing himself to leave Annabeth's side.

"I'll be back," he promised, kissing her forehead. Percy swore he saw a smile form on her lips. It was for half a second, but Percy swore he saw it.

"I love you too," he whispered in her ear. "Goodbye, Wise Girl."

Every day from then on, Percy would visit Annabeth and stay by her side until visiting hours were over, blaming himself for the whole thing.

They were now two days before Christmas. It had been exactly one week with Annabeth in her coma. Once again, he went to visit her, but this time, he carried the Christmas present he'd bought for her in his hands.

Percy and his mom would have to leave tomorrow to celebrate Christmas at his uncle's house. They'd be back the two days after Christmas, but he'd still miss not coming to see Annabeth every day.

He put the book on the nightstand next to her bed and wrote a message on a napkin for her:

Merry Christmas.

I love you too.

-Seaweed Brain

He hadn't been able to say he loved her before they fell, so now was as a good a time as any.

He kissed her cheek one last time (as he did every time he'd leave the room) and left the hospital.

i really do have a flair for the dramatic ;)

*dramatically flips hair*

*dramatically puts on rad sunglasses*

*dramatically exits*