chapter 30 - epilogue

"Okay, everybody ready?" Percy asked, nervous.

"Yeah," Jason said. "Piper just texted; they're on the way."

"Okay, Hazel, you and Frank got the picnic ready on the side of the beach, right?"

"Yes," Hazel answered. "And you could just ask her directly, you don't need to make a big deal out of this, Percy."

Percy sighed. "Oh, Hazel. Naive, naive Hazel. This is one of the most important things for men and most women. I mean, sure, it's not as big a deal as asking her to marry me, but it's pretty close."

"Leo, you make sure everyone comes out of their hiding spot at the right time, okay?"

"Yup," Leo said. "Also, I agree with Hazel."

"Shut up, Valdez," Percy said, sassily.

"Reyna, you made the poster, right?"

"Yes, it's all ready."

"Piper and Annabeth are here!" Jason yelled.

"Okay, everyone go hide!" Percy said, throwing the clipboard at Jason.

Annabeth walked onto the beach. It had only been a week since their first kiss, but Percy was absolutely and utterly in love with Annabeth.

"Hey, Percy," Annabeth said, kissing him lightly. "Piper told me she'd meet me on the beach, so I'm just waiting for her. But what are the chances that you're here?" She smiled.

DING! That was Annabeth's phone. Surely, it was Piper's text saying she had to leave a.s.a.p. like they'd planned.

"Oh," Annabeth said. "Actually, Piper isn't coming."

Yes, thought Percy. This is going perfectly.

"Oh, well, do you wanna hang with me instead?"

She shrugged. "Why not?"

They walked on the beach exchanging a few kisses every so often.

They finally arrived at the picnic blanket. "I was gonna eat alone," Percy said, "but since you're here..."

Percy took out the food and they began eating.

"So," Annabeth started. "You randomly end up meeting me here, right after Piper mysteriously ditches me. Then, you bring me to a picnic where you somehow prepared exactly enough food for two people, including all my favourites. So, what's really going on here?"

Percy went pale. Shit. He scratched his head twice. That was the sign to come out.

All their friends came out of their hiding spots.

They held the giant poster Reyna made. It said:

Annabeth Chase, may I call you mine?

Annabeth gasped. "Percy-"

"Annabeth Chase," Percy interrupted. "I love you so much. You make me so happy. You are the light of my life. Will you be my girlfriend?"

"Yes, oh, Percy, yes of course!" she said, kissing him all over.

;;;

"Don't be nervous," Sally said, fixing up his suit. "You're a 24-year-old guy. MAN UP!"

"Mom!" Percy said. "Stop, you're just making me more nervous."

"I can't believe you're getting married!" his mother exclaimed.

"Mom," Percy started, "can I have a hug for good luck??"