chapter 28

Annabeth's P.O.V.

When Annabeth woke up in the hospital with wires all around her body, she was completely and utterly confused.

The first thing she noticed was the gifts lying around her. Her body felt warm, but in the sense that someone probably hugged her recently, it was weird. She looked around the room to find a calendar.

How was it December 31st already? It was the 20th just last night! They must've made a mistake. She should tell them. She pressed the red button that called for a nurse.

A woman with the name "Julie" entered the room. "Annabeth," she said, relieved. "How are you? Are you feeling okay?"

Annabeth nodded. "What happened? How did I get here? And, um, you guys have the wrong date on your schedule."

Julie's expression softened even more. "I'm afraid it's the right date."

Annabeth chuckled. "So, what?" she said, laughing. "I've been in a coma all this time?" The idea was too hilarious not to laugh. But Nurse Julie didn't laugh. In fact, her facial expression seemed to sadden.

"Oh my gods," Annabeth said, realization entering her mind. "Have I been in a coma all this time?"

"I'm sorry," the nurse said suddenly interested in her really ugly shoes.

"How long have I been like this?"

"10 days," Julie said, looking worried.

"10 days. 10 days. 10 days..." she kept repeating. She couldn't believe it.

Then she remembered. "The fall. When Percy and I fell... That's how it happened, isn't it?"

The nurse nodded. "Exactly."

"Well, is Percy alright? Can I see him? Is he here?"

"He isn't here," the nurse said. "His injuries weren't as bad as yours. He was discharged a week ago."

Thank the gods Percy was safe. All of this was her fault. If she hadn't been so reckless and angry with him for no reason none of this would've happened.

"10 days," she said again. "Did anyone come to visit?"

"If the counter filled with gifts isn't obvious enough, yes. Your father and brothers stayed by your side all of Christmas. Your brothers gave up seeing Santa to see you. Your boyfriend, Percy-"

"He's not my boyfriend," Annabeth said, blushing.

"You sure?" Julie asked. "Because he was here every day from the beginning to the end of visiting hours, and the way he was around you... are you sure?"

Annabeth nodded. Does Percy still like me? Even after how awful I was with him? The thought made her smile. "Anyone else?"

"Well, a mob of teens, who I assume are your friends came in just this morning."

Annabeth smiled. "Really?"

"Yeah," Julie said. And Annabeth had to agree with herself: Julie seemed like the coolest nurse ever. "And, when the emo kid hugged you, every-"

"NICO HUGGED ME?" Annebeth asked, yelling. "Are you sure?"

"Positive. All your friends were freaking out too."

"Dam," Annabeth said.

Julie smiled. "I'll leave you to explore the treasure. I'm gonna call your dad in okay?"

"Sure, thanks."

When Julie left, Annabeth started with the top of the pile of gifts.

First was a bouquet with Lotus flowers and roses. That was obviously from Piper. She smiled. There was also a note attached to the plastic holding it together: