CHAPTER 2: MY LAB PARTNER'S A GENIUS

"So," Mac sat beside me in the reception area in front of the principal's office, "What you in for?"

I told him everything that happened, going further to explain the whole chemical fire incident.

The explosion from the mix wasn't much. All it did was shatter the beaker and send pieces flying in every direction. Hannah and I got thrown off a little, and we crashed on the floor. The pieces also damaged at least three other pairs' experiments, and the whole class turned to look at us. Even Mr. Tucker looked up from the book he was reading.

"...What, "I staggered up, "The heck just happened?"

Hannah got up and glared at me. "Are you actually asking me that question?!" she yelled, "You're the one who set it off, you idiot! What do you think happened?!"

"I set it off?!"I yelled, "You made me literally do nothing and I set it off?!"

"Nathan? Fate?" Mr.Tucker came over, his harsh eyes drowning whatever Hannah was about to say. He took one look at the damage around us and the black spot on the table and asked, "Who did this?"

For five slow seconds, nobody moved. Nobody even seemed to breathe.

"I did it."

I turned to see Hannah's head drooped in shame. She looked up at me, then to Mr.Tucker, "And I'm sorry, sir. It was an honest accident."

Mr.Tucker looked at her, then at me, then back at her. "Alright, Miss Nathan. I'll take your word for it. However, for your apparent carelessness, neither you nor your partner can get higher than a B in a make-up assignment."

"I understand, sir, "Hannah solemnly nodded.

Mr.Tucker nodded and walked back to his seat, keeping a more watchful eye on the rest of the class.

The second Mr.Tucker sat down, Hannah glared at me, then narrowed her eyes and hissed, "You started that fire, and we both know it."

The truth was, I did. I had no idea how, but I felt like I'd turned on the fire's self-destruct switch. The tingling sensation in my fingers had kind of attracted me to the fire, and it had stopped the second the mixture exploded, but how Hannah could've known was beyond me.

Before I could even talk, she continued, "But I'll take the blame, even though it means that for the first time in years, I'll get a grade B," her tone softened, "Meet me outside after school. There's something I have to show you."

As if on cue, the school bell rang for the end of the period, and we all got up to leave, even though Mr.Tucker kept saying, "Everyone, sit down! The period's not over yet!"

..................................

"So, "I asked him, "What're you in for?"

"A wasp flew into Mrs. Lester's class," he shrugged, "Caused quite a stir. I tried to kill it. Mrs. Lester ordered everyone to be quiet. Told me to sit down. Wasp landed on her head. I threw the nearest book at her. Nearest book turned out to be a dictionary."

"Dude, "I laughed, "You threw a dictionary at Mrs.Lester's head?"

"What'd you expect me to do, man?" he smiled, "Tell the wasp to shoo? Plus, she should be happy I got my hands on a dictionary. There was an encyclopedia not too far from me, and my hands were getting itchy. And, as a bonus, I killed the wasp."

I laughed, "We're gonna be in so much trouble. Is she hurt?"

"Nah," he shrugged, "She fell. Heard she got a headache later, but other than that she's fine. Personally, though, I think I declared war all over again."