CHAPTER 17: GUESS WHO'S BAAACK

The second I released the sword the rock it was embedded in exploded to pieces.

Every hieroglyph in the cave shone bright colors, some blue, some red, some violet, some green.

"Man, "Mac marveled, "It's like living in a disco ball."

All of a sudden, light from the ground where the stone was shone in one beam and flew to the sky like a straight rainbow. The second the beam hit the sky, the light spread across the sky to...everywhere. It lit the night sky in a glorious array of colors. I could feel the power being released even as I watched. 

The light intensified as Hannah kept chanting, and the force of all the power from the light felt like that of a gale. I had to struggle to keep myself on my feet.

And then it stopped.

As I watched, I realized the Sword wasn't burning my hand anymore. I looked at the sword, and I watched it glow. A nice, warm sensation spread through my arm and around my body. My veins began to glow bright orange, and when I looked up, everyone was staring at me in awe. At first, I was confused, but then I realized...

I was on fire. Literally.

The fire felt warm and cozy, but it felt powerful, too. I felt re-energized, rejuvenated, and ready to fight.

I turned to Apep and said, "You were saying?"

At that moment, a large burst of thunder shook the air. We all looked up and saw lightning tear through the skies, descending on the monsters around us. The monsters panicked and ran, but that's when things got worse.

All of a sudden, meteorites tore through the skies, destroying monsters and causing explosions. A storm picked up, and in seconds, a whirlwind swirled around the camp, carrying monsters and demons and destroying them with blue lightning. 

One demon looked at Apep and said, "My lord, what are we to do? A storm is rising!"

Apep looked at the disaster with faraway eyes. "This is no storm," the beast murmured.

As if to prove Apep's point, a surreal howl went through the air, like that of an immortal malevolence, and monsters literally went crazy. They ran anywhere and everywhere, but then an earthquake shook the forest. The ground cracked and split, and monsters fell into the chasms.

Apep completed, "The gods themselves are against us..."

It turned to me and hissed in fury, then launched itself at me to attack.

I rushed at it as my flames extinguished, and swung the sword at the snake. It slashed back, and the blades collided. We stayed that way for a second, but then hit used its tail and whacked me away. I crashed and got up, but then Apep rushed at Hannah, who was still chanting and had her eyes on the obelisk, her back turned to Apep. 

"Hannah!"I yelled, "watch out!"

Hannah turned too late.

Just as Apep slashed, Natalia rushed in from nowhere and pelted it with more rocks. Apep slashed at her, but then all the rocks gathered and formed a kind of rectangular shield. Apep broke the shield, but Natalia used the debris to create a large rocky fist. Her eyes glowed bright violet, and she punched forward. Mimicking her movements, the fist punched Apep's face. It roared, its fists inflaming, and punched the rock. The rock exploded in a flash of red, and Natalia screamed in pain. Apep grabbed her neck and threw her towards me, and I dodged too late. We crashed on the floor, and Apep rushed at us, fists on fire, eyes filled with nothing but rage and blood-lust. I tried to stand, but then Apep gave a devastating punch.

It hit Mac's nose as he jumped in from nowhere. Mac staggered back and smiled, wiping the blood from his nose and mouth, then muttered, "You know, now the gods are coming back, I should probably make sure you don't get to say hi."