CHAPTER 5: DADDY ISSUES

I supported Natalia, as she was too weak to move on her own. As we walked, I told her, "That was amazing."

"Thanks," she muttered, "You weren't so bad yourself."

I laughed, "Are you kidding? You singlehandedly wiped out an entire army of monsters. All I did was ride a bike."

She paused, then said, "You realize I still owe you a kick in the shins."

I laughed, "You're too weak to walk and you want to kick me?"

"Hey, don't try me, ugly," she said, "I can still beat you up."

"No problem, "I smiled, "As long as you don't call me ugly while you're at it."

She looked at me for a few seconds, then nodded, "You're actually quite cute."

I must've blushed. It was the first time any girl had ever called me that.

"Don't feel special," she rolled her eyes, "Just get me into your house." I nodded, and walked on.

Within thirty minutes, we made it to my house. I brought out my house keys and opened the door, and then helped her into the living room, where I sat her down on a sofa.

I closed the door and walked back to the living room, then sat on a couch as she asked, "What about your mom?"

"She's at work, "I answered, "She never gets back till around ten."

She only nodded and said, "Any chance I can get a hot shower here?"

I nodded and said, "There's a room after that door, "I pointed, "That serves as a guest room. I'll get you some clothes to get into."

She nodded, "Thanks," then got up to go have her bath.

After she left, I got up and went to my room to go pick out some clothes for her. I looked through my old clothes that Mum wanted to give away, wondering if Natalia really knew my Dad. If she did, she could give me the answer to the question that's burdened me for years: Is my father still alive?

Finally settling on a green tee-shirt that said 'chaos' and a pair of jeans, I walked downstairs and knocked on the door. It opened a creak and her hand came out. I gave her the clothes, and she took them and shut the door.
She came out as I was in the middle of making a couple of pancakes. "There's tea for you on the center table."

She looked over at me in the kitchen and said, "You cook?"

I nodded, "It's a hobby." Why did I tell her that? Nobody knows I love cooking, not even Mac, and he's so close to me he's the only person outside my family who knows my Dad's middle name is Sylvester.

She sat and sipped the tea."Mmm...," she nodded, "It's great."

"Thanks, "I came over and gave her the plate of pancakes. She ate them, and we stayed that way in silence. I turned the TV on as I waited for her to finish up.

When she was done, she nodded gratefully at me, "Thanks for everything. You're an awesome cook."

I smiled and looked at her, "You said you knew my father?"

She nodded, and I asked, "How is he? Is he okay? Is he still alive?"

Natalia was silent. I saw a tear in her eye as she said, "I'm sorry..."

No. "Wh-what?"I muttered, "Do you... Is he...?"

She nodded solemnly, "He died last week. I... There was no way to save him..." She said it like the memory hurt her. "I-I'm sorry I couldn't get to you sooner..."

I stayed silent. Last week? He'd been alive all this while, but he died last week? "How?"I asked.

Tears ran down her cheeks. "He...we were going to...return the eye," she sniffed, "But we...had to kill Apep first."