CHAPTER 16: THE SWORD OF FIRE

"NO!!"

Apep yelled and reached for us, but it was too late. We had fallen in. 

The beast stared at the hole for a couple of seconds, then Mac came to its side and patted its shoulder as he sang a line from the lion king, "As you go through life, you see..."

Apep slammed him away.

Hannah and I fell into the depths of the hole, holding each other. 

We crashed on the stony ground, and I winced in pain. Hannah got up immediately and said, "Light up the cave."

"Yeah, whatever, "I rolled my eyes and staggered up. I raised one hand, and it caught fire, illuminating the area.

As we looked around, we saw the obelisk at the far end of the place.

"Great," I said, "We've found the obelisk. Now, where's the Sword-"

Hannah tugged at my tee-shirt and pointed to my back, and I turned to see the handle of an old rusted sword, most of it embedded in stone.

I frowned, "Don't tell me that's the only weapon that can kill Apep."

"It is, "Hannah walked towards it and peered at it, "It looks...old."

"Oh, wow, what gave it away?"I rolled my eyes, "The rust on its blade, or the fact that it's been here-I dunno- since the history of Camelot was a current affair?"

We heard a slam from above, then Hannah said, "We can't waste our time here. We need to do what we have to do."

"NOT IN MY DAMNED LIFE!" We heard Apep yell from above, but then Mac slammed him away and yelled down, "Hey, if you don't mind, we don't have all day!"

Hannah revealed the Eye and ran to the obelisk, and Apep officially lost it. 

The beast gave off an other-worldly howl, and blood-red flames flew out of its mouth. Some kind of blood-red mist surrounded the beast, and when it stood, its hood opened. Its voice became deeper, darker, and ghostly. It's entire body emitted a maroon mist, and its claws and ridges sharpened so that they were practically stinging. It roared, stood up,and rushed at Natalia, who darted away too late. The beast slashed her down, giving her a deadly gash on her back. She screamed in pain, and Mac launched himself at Apep. The beast slashed at Mac, who ducked and rolled to the beast's side. Apep punched him as soon as he got up, and Mac yelled in pain as he hit the ground. 

Apep was about to slash Natalia when Mac said,"Nope. Your fighting skills are still worse than my grandma's, and she's blind."

Apep stomped on Mac, but Mac rolled away and got up the second Apep removed its foot. Apep slashed at Mac, who used his mace to parry the attack then slammed Apep's face. Apep roared indignantly and slammed Mac away, then rushed to the mouth of the cave and ordered to the monsters below, "Get up here, you bastards! Now!"

Most of them were confused, and one asked,"But, lord, did you not decree that no monster was to step into your presence unless-"

"DAMN THE DECREE!"Apep yelled as Mac gripped it by its neck and tried to choke it. Apep roared, and its whole body caught red fire. Mac released it and fell in pain, then Apep yelled to its monsters,"COME HERE RIGHT THIS MOMENT OR I SHALL SLAUGHTER EACH AND EVERY LAST ONE OF YOU!!!"

The monsters rushed up like he was their god.

"Oh,crap," Mac muttered and turned to Apep, "Calling for back-up already?" he smirked, "You're not a demon, you're a wimp."

Apep unleashed a volley of slashes at Mac, who darted away. 

As soon as the other monsters rushed in, Apep yelled, "Go down the hole if you can and kill whoever you find in there!"