CHAPTER 18: THE END... RIGHT?

"Hold up," Mac came over, "You mean Apep will come back or something? Because I am NOT ready to face that snake again."

Amun-Ra smiled at him, "No, of course not. You all have defeated him, and now he languishes in the depths of the realm of hell. Your job is done, and the world is safe again, thanks to you four," he turned to me, "Thank you especially, Jones, for-"

"Woah, hold on a sec,"Mac raised a hand, "I'm the guy who literally threw himself on the beast of chaos. If anyone deserves more thanks, it's me."

Natalia glared at him,"Jones was chosen, you idiot. Can you use your brain for once?"

Mac smirked at her, "Can you smile for once?"

Natalia rolled her eyes, "Can you be serious for once?"

Mac smiled awkwardly, "Can we skip that question?"

Hannah and I laughed and came over to Amun-Ra, who smiled at Mac, "You speak true words, young lad. On behalf of the gods, I thank all four of you. You, son of Henrich, held back Apep for as long as possible, and dare I say you frustrated his efforts," he turned to Natalia, "You were quite a deadly force yourself, daughter of Isis. You harnessed your power well enough to inflict harm to Apep and defend your friends from monsters and devils. Your mother, the queen, would be proud."

"The queen?"Mac said, turning to Natalia, who rolled her eyes and nodded, "Yes, my mum's the queen of the gods of Egypt, because Horus is crowned-prince and all that."

"Hot, single, and rich, "Mac muttered to himself, "Yup; she's the answer to my prayers."

Amun-Ra turned to Hannah, "And you, daughter of Nathan; you planned ahead and out-smarted Apep, which served as a genius move on your part. Although Jones released the Sword of Fire, we gods owe you our gratitude for making it possible to bring us back."

Hannah blushed, and Amun-Ra turned to me, "And you, Jones, found the courage to set out on this mission, the will to fight the world's greatest demon, and the bravery to release the Sword of Fire. To all four of you, and on behalf of the gods, I thank you for restoring our world to Order and balance."

"BALANCE?!"

We all turned to see a figure walk towards us. He wore some kind of armor that emitted a ghostly green mist, and his helmet was a black-and-gold jackal head. He wore it as he approached Amun-Ra, then pointed at me and told him, "There can be no order in this realm as long as this child stands! You chose to raise us up the very boy who's fate could destroy us all! The son of Fate must die or he shall determine our deaths! The prophecy intoned that, did it not?!"

A black spear appeared in the god's hands as he turned to me and continued, "He is our abominable doom! Our destruction, our very end! The gods cannot be truly free with so much power in this boy; not in the least! He must be destroyed, or he shall destroy us!" He aimed his spear at me and said, "We must-"

"ANUBIS!"Amun-Ra yelled with a force that shook the mountain. Anubis paused and turned to him, "We both know I speak the truth, my king. With all due respect, he must die if-"

"The child lives on," Amun-Ra turned to Anubis, "That is an order."

Anubis paused, then shook his head sorrowfully and looked at me, his green eyes filled with godly hatred as he said, "The twist of Fate... will doom us all..."

He walked away, turning once to look at Amun-Ra, "He will doom us all."

The god vanished in a cloud of darkness.

"Great,"Mac broke the silence that loomed since Anubis' departure, "Jones got himself a fanboy."

Amun-Ra smiled reassuringly at me and said,"Worry not, dear Jones. Anubis is paranoid;that's all. The matter's being taken care of as we speak."