19 | showbiz might kill me

"This act is brand new. At least it is if you ask the crew," Luke started singing after Ashton had told him he could. They were once again back at the studio; it had taken forever to lose Brian - even longer to lose Michael and Calum. But they were finally here. This song was more upbeat than the previous ones, but the message was still the same.
Luke wanted this to be an upbeat song. A song you danced to, a song that hopefully topped the charts, because of its blunt message.

"You think you know me and my songs. As if they talk about my wrongs," Luke continued, the song was already picking up its pace. "Haven't written a song since twenty sixteen. You don't know me just because you see me through a screen."

Luke quieted down for a second letting the guitar and bass play, "We just want things that sell. I mean who cares, if I'm well?" Luke sang it almost mockingly, mocking not only his crew and the people around him but also the entire business. "I'm a money machine. An entertainer locked to the scene."

"Just shut up and smile. Remember to arrive in style," Luke sang as he began on the pre-chorus. It was sung in a more hushed voice, as the melody was building up to the chorus. "Greet fans and wave. Be well-dressed and shave. Look good, no one cares if you're misunderstood."

"Showbiz might kill me, and I might let it," Luke finally began on the chorus. The song was starting to be upbeat. Both showing Luke's amazing vocals, but also creating the perfect vibe for the song to be a song to top the charts. "Showbiz might kill me. Now that would be a headline," Luke sang, while the latter sentence was followed up Luke's laughter that was already recorded. "Stop telling me it's fine. Showbiz, showbiz might kill me, but that's just showbiz," Luke sang again, dragging out the word showbiz.

"Right, right?" Luke asked not singing the words before he began singing the second verse. "This business is digging my grave. It's fine since there's nothing left to save," the sentence held more meaning than the blond would like to admit, and as he sang those words, he could feel himself pouring his emotions into it. It was raw but real and Luke liked it like that. It felt heartfelt, for once. "Is there anything left to be seen?" Luke continued to sing.

"Let's all hear it for Luke Hemmings, the alcoholic celebrity, drug addict at age 19," Luke spoke this sentence as he was a salesman, acting into a role. As if Luke Hemmings was a product you could buy, and sometimes - sometimes Luke felt like he was. If not for the audience, then at least for the industry. "I'm just a puppet to the business. A depressed mess," Luke started to sing again. "But what a show, right? I don't know might pick a fight." The sentence 'I mean this guy just looked at me, he's asking for it' was played in the background, another thing they'd recorded before Luke started to sing.

"Let's set up a fake scene, to the miserable teen," Luke finished the second verse before the pre-chorus began. "Just shut up and smile. Remember to arrive in style. Greet fans and wave. Be well-dressed and shave," Luke paused slightly before he continued to sing. "Look good, no one cares if you fucking hate yourself." Another sentence they'd recorded beforehand was played 'Hell, I know I do'. With that Luke was back to sing the chorus.

"Showbiz might kill me. Is this obvious enough critic for you, by the way?" The catchy beat managed to conceal the snarky question to the press, though the lyrics were obvious enough. "Do I need to spell it out that I'm not okay? Showbiz might kill me. Now that would be a headline. Stop telling me it's fine. Showbiz, showbiz might kill me, but that's just showbiz."

"So, my lunch is more important than what the president said?" Was played through Luke's headphones, one of the many clips they'd recorded before. The melody started to change a bit signalising the bridge was about to come. "I feel like might be dead. My life's hanging by a thread," Luke dragged out the vocal once again showing off his amazing voice. "If you had a shred ... of decency, you'd know the rumours you spread ... are fucking lies." The blond paused for a second, "but who cares? Showbiz wants me dead," and with that ending the song. The tune faded out and Luke looked at Ashton through the glass who gave him thumbs up.