20 | not alone

"Where were you?" was the first thing Luke and Ashton met as they tried to sneak back into the hotel room, failing miserably, of course. Ashton slightly panicked it was Brian, but his hazel eyes met the green eyes of Michael and he sighed in relief. He wasn't ready to face Brian now; nor would he be ready another day.

"We-..." Ashton began but he trailed off, not sure what he should say, so didn't continue. His eyes flicked slightly and looked for something to settle his gaze on. They landed on the wall behind Calum.

"Were out," Luke finished a bit harshly and didn't continue with an explanation. Ashton could see Michael's frown, and although he felt sorry for Michael, and felt bad for lying – well at least not telling the truth. He knew he couldn't tell them; it would just make the chance of getting caught by Brian higher, and Ashton had promised Luke to help him.

"So," Calum started, "what were you going to do now?" Aston knew by that question that his friend wanted them to hang together, or at least that Calum could hang with Ashton. Ashton would more than anything spend time with his best friend right now. There was weird tension in the room right now, and Ashton wished he could escape it. Luke had been selective mute since the studio, pissed because Ashton started to see his real colours. What did the blond expect anyways? His lyrics were screaming about how much Luke hated himself, had he really thought that Ashton wouldn't have picked it up? Michael, on the other hand, seemed angry at Luke. Ashton knew they weren't actually friends anymore; he knew that they pretended to be for the public. Expect for that – nothing. However, Ashton didn't know what the conflict was.

Ashton looked at Luke slightly who said nothing and shrugged as a response to Calum. "Maybe," Calum began, "we could go out. I'm hungry, and I'd like to see more of New York." Ashton loved Calum for being nice and trying his best to make everyone happy. Calum was a peacemaker in a way, he always tried to solve a conflict, but the black-haired male tried to gape over more than he could swallow. Ashton didn't think it was very wise the four of them went out. Luke was a problematic person, Michael and Luke had their problems, Luke was angry at Ashton for whatever reason and Ashton didn't think Luke liked Calum all that much. Luke was the core of all problems. Ashton would love to eat some dinner with Michael and Calum, but he couldn't leave Luke behind. Not only because it was his job, but also because it was wrong.
Though Luke claimed to hate Ashton, Ashton was still the person Luke had the least problems with.

"We could just order in?" Ashton suggested, going out would be a disaster. Ashton didn't know what would come fights, a drunken Luke or a press scandal, but it was better to be on the safe side. Staying in seemed to be the better option. Calum, God bless his heart, didn't know this and thought Ashton was being killjoy as he could tend to be. Calum should've known better Ashton thought as Calum continued to press the matter.

"C'mon~, it'll be fun. And I'm seriously craving some junk food," Calum said and looked at the other. Michael seemed to agree with the idea. He'd been reluctant at first, but he seemed to have changed his mind and was now glaring at Luke. Luke stood by Ashton stiff like a stick, none of them said anything. Luke didn't want to go out with any of that Ashton assumed, and Ashton wasn't in the mood to play babysitter and also keep the peace between the group. A dinner with Luke, Calum and Michael would be physically draining, Ashton would be forced to make Michael and Luke play nice, and he'd be torn between watching Luke and entertaining him and talking to Calum. To be honest, it was too much hassle. Not to mention Calum still didn't know the relationship was fake, and Ashton didn't think the right time of telling his best friend was during dinner surrounded by paparazzi.

Calum gave his best puppy eyes look, and Ashton sighed slightly. He was going to give in, there was no point in arguing Calum always got what he wanted. As the honey-brunet was about to give in, he could feel a hand sneak around his waist and drag him slightly backwards until his body collided against Luke's. He could feel Luke lean into the touch before his warm breath fanned his left ear.