25 | good riddance

tw: mentions of suicide, I don't want anyone to get triggered by my writing, so if you get triggered by it I am truly sorry and that was never my intention, please let me know, I'm trying to add warnings to things I might think will be triggering, but if I haven't please let me know

Ashton could really thank the gods enough that they hadn't stumbled into Brian at breakfast. The entire hotel didn't need to watch Brian and Luke fight the first thing in the morning. Or ever for that matter. Ashton was many things, he was Australian, a good brother and a good son. Ashton was smart and too perfectionistic at times. He was the fake boyfriend to one of the 21st century's most problematic celebrities. Ashton was a drop-out film student, he was kind, stubborn and funny. There were many things he wasn't too; Ashton was definitely not a morning person.

He was pretty sure that if Ashton had just seen the flicker of Brian before he got his americano he'd challenge the manager to a brawl, and most likely win. If he'd lost, he was pretty sure that both Calum and Luke would collectively beat Brian up for sending Ashton to the hospital for a second time. Well, Ashton wasn't quite sure Luke would beat Brian up for Ashton, but he doubted Luke would pass up an opportunity to beat up Brian. Calum, on the other hand, suffered from protective older brother syndrome – despite not being older than him or being remotely related to Ashton.

"Hey Ashton," Luke greeted him by setting a cup of coffee in front of Ashton. Ashton's not even surprised when he takes a sip of the cup and realises that's exactly how he likes his morning coffee, and Luke had just gone ahead and gotten him a cup. He'd long ago learnt Luke's coffee order. "Good morning," he continued, and squeezed Ashton's left hand that was resting on top of the table. Ashton didn't know if it was to keep up the act or get his attention – he didn't care. He was too tired to care, instead he turned to Luke and smiled slightly.

"I ... I have already talked to Brian," Luke whispered as he leaned closer to Ashton, making sure no one else could hear him. "So, don't worry about it. He knows you weren't involved." Luke bit his lip, and Ashton could see there was obviously something on Luke's mind, but he didn't know if he was supposed to pry after answers.

"What did you tell him?" Ashton settled on, it seemed safer.

"I ... I don't actually mean the things I said, I just had to ... uh, I had to keep the act up ... that I," Luke's voice grew tiny at the end of the sentence.

"That you what?" Ashton asked intrigued, he tried to meet Luke's blue eyes, but the blond avoided his gaze.

"That I ... hate you," Luke whispered. Normally, Ashton would've scoffed and said something crude. Something about how Luke did hate Ashton, and didn't need to act or pretend, because the feeling was very much real. However, this time, he didn't say something like that. He kept his mouth shut, because of Luke's words and body language. Luke almost regrettably informed him the news, and when he delivered them, he made his body language small. Almost as if he was scared to disappoint him. Ashton didn't really care if Luke hated him or not; by now he should be used to it. He knew Luke didn't per say hate him either; strongly disliked maybe, but hate? No, Luke didn't hate him. Ashton didn't even think Luke disliked him all that much either by the way Luke had been treating him recently. So, he didn't actually worry what Luke told Brian.

As for Brian, Ashton didn't care what the manager thought, or didn't think of their relationship, both fake and professional. If Brian thought they hated each other that was fine, if he realised, they got semi-along, that was okay. Ashton really didn't care what the older manager thought, he just wanted his pay checks and to stay as far away from the manager as he could.

"Ah," Ashton replied in lack of something better to say, "what did Brian say or do?" Luke may have cleared all suspicion of Ashton, but there would still be consequences. And when they weren't directed at Ashton, they sure as hell were at Luke.