CHAPTER ONE

KENNEDY'S POV

"MOMMY, LOOK AT MY PICTURE," My four year old daughter, Layla, said, showing me an animal picture. Blue, purple, red, and orange were scribbled all in the monkey.

"It's so beautiful," I told her. "Let me hang it on the fridge."

She nodded, and I walked into our kitchen. Our apartment isn't the biggest, but it isn't small either. We have a kitchen, a living room, two bedrooms, and one bathroom.

I grabbed a black magnet off the fridge, and I placed the picture on the fridge. Layla walked in the kitchen, humming Twinkle Little Star.

Her light blonde hair was a mess, and her bright blue eyes were filled with happiness. She has a lot of me in her, but she also has a lot of her father in her too.

I shivered at the thought of Layla's father. I'm so glad that I left town with Layla after graduation. It was pretty easy since he didn't know that I was pregnant.

"Mommy, can I have some juice?" Layla asked me, holding her favorite bright pink cup.

"Sure, baby," I said as she handed me her cup.

I poured some berry juice in her cup, and I twisted the lid before giving her back the cup. She skipped back into the living room where Bubble Guppies was playing on the small flat screen tv.

While I was walking back into the living room, my phone rang. I picked the device off of the coffee table, and I saw it was Maia, my best friend.

Maia has been my best friend since I moved to New York. We met at the bookstore I work at. She accidentally knocked a whole table over with books. Instead of leaving me to clean it by myself, she helped me.

Every since that day, we always had each other's back. She watches Layla sometimes when I have to work and she is off.

I answered the call before sitting on the couch.

"Hello?" I asked.

"Ken, you have to come to LANA's. There are some hot guys here," Maia said on the other side of the phone.

I heard low chattering in the background.

"I have to be at work in two hours," I told her as I watched Layla play with her baby doll.

"Come on, you probably need coffee anyways. Please," Maia begged, and I could almost feel her puppy eyes.

I sighed,"Fine. We'll be there in thirty."

"Yay! I'll see you when you get here."

"Bye, Maia."

"Bye, Ken," Maia said before she hang up.

"Who was that?" Layla asked, sitting next to me on the couch.

"Your Aunt Maia," I replied, making her jump with glee.

"Can we go see hwr?" Layla asked with big eyes.

I nodded,"Yep. Let's go get dressed."

We walked to Layla's room first to pick her an outfit out. I put a lot of effort into Layla's room. Her walls were a light pink, and she had a white shelf against the wall for her books and toys. Then her bed was in the middle of the room along with a nightstand next to it. There was a white fluffy rug on her floor, and she had a small tv in her room.

Layla sat in her white rocking chair in the corner of her room while I opened her closet. I grabbed a pastel purple sweater, a pair of dark jeans, her brown boots, and a puffy white jacket.