Ch.6 And Then There Were Two

The school year was starting to end, a lot of crazy things happened but they managed to finish it off well. Dr.Saltzman had a few pick-me-up activities planned almost every Saturday and they actually made some people feel better. The very next day was the secret vote among the members of the Honor Council to decide if they think it's good for Dr.Saltzman to be Headmaster.

Lizzie was off somewhere with Dr.Saltzman, Raf is still a wolf, Landon has been with Raf ever since he got back, and Josie and MG are in Penelope's room...emptying out what still remains.

"So...Jed is Alpha again," Josie said, starting up conversation.

"How? I thought they had to fight the Alpha to become Alpha," MG replied.

"I don't know how they worked it out but hopefully he'll be an OK Alpha this time," Josie sighed and MG agreed with her.

While cleaning out the shelves in Penelope's room, MG noticed something that had slipped behind. When he got a hold of it, he noticed it was a picture.

"Hey Josie, c'mere!" He motioned and Josie immediately walked over to him.

"Look...it's us..." MG said as his voice trailed off.

The picture was from the fourth of July last year, Penelope and Josie were dating...up until August that is. It was a "selfie" by MG that featured both the fireworks and a kissing Penelope and Josie. As they both stared at the picture, MG got teary eyes and Josie just started crying. They both sat down on the bed and Josie let it all out.

"I kept forgetting to tell you this but..." Josie said, voice tight, "But Penelope wrote that you've been a good friend to her...I originally thought it was crazy that you continued to be friends with her but..I'm glad you did."

"Of course," MG said, "She was the only rooting for me when it seemed obvious she shouldn't be."

After a while, they both cleaned up the room and left. When Josie went back to her room, she put everything they took from the room in a box and slid it under her bed...except the picture. Josie stared at it for awhile, even though it was dimly lit in the photo due to the fact that it was nighttime, she could still see and remember what it was like. The kiss they shared while smiling like goofballs was so precious...

"Why'd you have to leave..."Josie whispered, "Why couldn't you have just told me...?"

Josie thought long and hard about Penelope's reason for doing all this which was summed up into the words: It was all for me.

Penelope wanted her to get strong, to get tough so that she'd survive the merge. She wanted Josie to be her own person because she knew if she didn't realize it sooner, she could die. She wanted Josie to live and survive so badly, that she supported her by hiding it behind selfish intentions...

Or was that just me assuming her own intentions? Josie thought.

Josie had spent so much time trying to hate her and immediately assuming what Penelope was up to as something bad...that she didn't stop to think why she had to hate Penelope in the first place. Was it because of her broken heart? Or was it because Lizzie made it seem that she had to hate her after being heartbroken? She couldn't tell which decisions were her own decisions anymore...what feelings were her own feelings. The only feelings she seemed so sure of was the happiness and love she felt for Penelope before and the sadness the emptiness she feels now that she's gone.

This isn't all Lizzie's fault though, she thought, Sure, she's bossy and controlling but I allowed myself to be controlled to please her...I wasn't truly paying attention to myself or anyone else for that matter...and Penelope noticed that. She wanted me...to notice that on my own.

Feeling stupid, she flopped down onto the bed and stared at the picture one more, very long time. She remembered the past few weeks before Penelope left. Penelope was trying to get close to her but she kept shooing her away. She could imagine how painful it was for Penelope, who still loved her, to be rejected time and time again knowing that her time left with Josie was running out.

"And I just kept...rejecting her...and rejecting her...I didn't read the letter..." Josie whimpered as she began to cry, "If I had read the letter...she probably could've stayed...I could have given her a reason..."

Josie lay there, curled up in a ball, crying while holding the picture. Eventually she had cried herself to sleep by the time Lizzie came back. When Lizzie entered the room she was about to say something to Josie but she immediately noticed she was asleep. She walked over to Josie's bed and saw what was in her hand.

I could've been a better, more supportive sister...Lizzie thought, I  need to change that. I need to change me.

Lizzie walked back to her bed and got ready to go to sleep. In Josie's dreams all she could dream about was redoing everything she had done before Penelope left or dream of Penelope returning... either way, she finally realized what the other girl was trying to tell her...

And it cost them both, a lot of pain.

------------------------------------------------------

Hey guys, did you catch my What Still Remajns reference? If you don't know what that is, it's a movie that Lulu Antariksa (Penelope Park's actress) was in.

Anyways, I hope you all enjoyed the chapter and got to see the Season 1 bloopers Julie Plec FINALLY released!

If you haven't seen it...
Here it is ;)))