Ch 14. Wakey Wakey Bird Boy

After spending a day of preparing herself for the siphoning, Josie found her confidence again. So in the morning, after breakfast, her and Lizzie were ready to perform the siphoning.

Both of them were sitting on the floor beside the bed Landon resided in. They were being supervised by their parents, Bonnie, Jeremy, Hope, and Penelope. The two placed one hand on the shaft of the arrow and closed their eyes to concentrate. A glow emitted from their hands and the siphoning began. You could tell they were being slow and careful from the intensity of the glow; it was incredibly faint. What felt like an hour passed and everything was running smoothly until...

"Ugh...Jo..." Lizzie shuddered, "Jo...you're siphoning me..."

"Jo...stop siphoning off of your sister," Bonnie said but the 16 year old still couldn't hear. It was as if her ears were turned off

"Jo...you're hurting me..." Lizzie gasped as an excruciating amount of pain gradually spread from her wrist, to the rest of her arm.

"She can't hear us..." Bonnie said baffled.

"W-what, why can't she hear us?" Hope demanded.

"We need to stop her before she siphons not just the spell and Lizzie's Magic...but Landon's soul link," Bonnie responded, Bonnie tried an incantation but it didn't work.

"Try opening her eyes," Penelope said and when they finally got Josie to open her eyes...they were pitch black.

"Oh no..." Hope said, "I thought she got rid of all her dark magic..."

"I don't think that's her using it...I think someone's using it to control her..." Bonnie thought outloud and as soon as she said it, Alaric and Jeremy looked at each other and bolted out of the room. There was only one person they knew of that could be doing this. After a long moment of Lizzie wincing from pain and the others trying to wake up Josie...she finally stopped. Both her and Lizzie passed out on the spot: Hope catching Lizzie and Penelope catching Josie.

"We'll take them to their rooms," Hope told Bonnie, "Looks like we have to try this another time..."

"Yeah...and next time I'm going to put a barrier spell..." Bonnie muttered as the girls headed to the twins' dorm.

When they got there, they laid the twins on their own beds and sat there waiting for them to wake up. After twenty long, tense and awkward minutes; they woke up.

"Wha-what happened?" Josie asked rubbing her forehead.

"You were being controlled by the Necromancer," Penelope said softly as she held Josie close, "We think he was able to control you because of the fact that the dark magic he stole was developed from you."

"So...did we succeed in siphoning the spell from the arrow at least?" Lizzie asked as Hope handed her a glass of water.

"Nope...you'll have to try again later or tomorrow...or whenever it's okay," Hope sighed and the room fell quiet.

"I could really use a smoothie..." Lizzie announced as she stood up.

"Hey, I'll go with you," Hope said and she stood up next to Lizzie, "Just in case you pass out while indulging yourself."

The two left the room and left the other two sitting their in silence. Josie had her face buried in Penelope's chest. She knew what she was doing but she didn't care. She was ashamed...guilty...confused...how come dark magic continues to haunt her?

"Pen..." Josie said quietly but loud enough for the other girl to here.

"Yeah, Jojo?" Penelope whispered, she was surprised to hear Josie call her by her nickname for the first time in a long time...but it relieved her somehow.