5 | Talk (I)

"What happened back there?" Xanthy stalked after Eldan as he led them through the haze of the Palace corridors that would lead them to a guest room

"What happened back there?" Xanthy stalked after Eldan as he led them through the haze of the Palace corridors that would lead them to a guest room. The Grand Royal insisted against Xanthy's direct refusal. She didn't have the heart to refuse further considering she just narrowly escaped being manderfin food.

Eldan merely shrugged. Xanthy frowned. What kind of answer was that? Nyxis sidled next to Xanthy. She gave him a wide berth by shifting June to her other side. She ignored the growing numbness in her muscles.

"Let me ask," Nyxis dropped his tone. Why did he have to do that anyway? "What happened? I only caught glimpses of it."

Xanthy exhaled. "We almost became manderfin food then the Royal ordered we be educated, then that man said I was his daughter," she jabbed a finger at Eldan's back. "Take your pick in which one will you react first."

Nyxis's gaze flicked back and forth between Xanthy and Eldan. "Did you just find your father?"

"I am not inclined to believe anything," Xanthy glared at Eldan from behind.

Not since the last time. She decided not to add. Still, that sentiment floated in the air between her and Nyxis like a deceased soul that escaped Pidmena's clutches. Nyxis fell silent.

Xanthy grunted as she hefted her other shoulder to fix her grip on June. Her bow started slipping from it. Wait a sec—

Nyxis's hands gripped Xanthy's shoulders to stop her. Then, he took the bow and slung it across his own shoulder, next to his satchel. Xanthy opened her mouth to thank him but he shot her a withering glare.

Xanthy bit her lip and moved to drape June's limp form across her back. Her arms hooked through his legs. She bounced him along to get a steady and comfortable grip. Without a word, she and Nyxis followed Eldan to wherever he might be leading them. To their deaths, maybe?

Branches and leaves made up the corridors leading to the inner workings of the Palace. Xanthy eyed the bowls of water placed atop wooden pedestals that lined the walls like some creepy display.

"What are these bowls for?" Xanthy called Eldan. The nature fairy stopped to face Xanthy and flicked his gaze towards the displays.

"That's water for the plants to drink," Eldan answered before turning back again and continuing their walk.

Xanthy snorted. Plants couldn't move to drink. They should be watered and cared for, not left bowls of water. This was unethical. Ridiculous.

A flash of movement caught her eye somewhere to her left. Her eyes widened as a branch from the wall tore off its place and slithered towards a bowl of water like a worm. Blood drained from Xanthy's face. Okay. Eldan wasn't lying about the walls.

She edged away from them as she followed Eldan deeper into the Palace of living trees. Soon, Eldan stopped in front of a huge arch that formed an alcove. When Xanthy got to Eldan's place, her jaw hung open.