7 | Steal (I)

2412, Iclis 14, Reshpe

Reeca pursed her lips as she stared out of the gap between the two folds of their tent. It had taken them a whole day to get used to the place which was alright considering Cardovia had no order when it came to daily activities. Magistrates, Cardovia's version of the Generals, managed their subordinates according to their wishes and most preferred to let people do as they please.

Elred found out that there was a scheduled meal time by listening in to a group of fairies washing their training garments from a nearby well. Reeca had snorted when Elred told her that there were three lunch times, three dinners, and three breakfasts and one could opt to eat at any of those times.

That's enough leeway for Reeca and Elred to comb the place.

Reeca had spent last night stalking guard points. Patrol rounds were done in pairs and guards were dressed in black all over. Most of the soldiers present in the camp either lounged around all day, waiting for orders from their magistrates, or doing menial tasks like food preparation, weaving, or sparring with each other.

Tents like the one Reeca and Elred occupied now littered the whole compound in hazy arrays, numbering to at least a thousand and housed at least three people each. When Reeca went out to spy last night, she came across a large tent in the middle of the camp made of sackcloth and hoisted up with sturdy poles. That's where the Heiress and her magistrates live.

Elred's front bore the identities of the magistrates when they reconvened in this tent. Repta Varis was in charge of the army and its constituents. Trisa Sarthra was head of the recruitment faction. Those two were the ones diving the black markets and illegal trade for any spare fairies, humans, or half-bloods—anyone—as long as they add up to the army's growing numbers.

Sylfior Ivanche, not to be confused with Cedar Vanche of the Seelie Court, was tasked to ensure the survival of the camp. His faction was in charge of procuring food, supplies, or weapons to keep the camp alive and going. A merchant by trade and probably the reason why he ended up with the position.

Malve Ventora, son of the deceased Felson Ventora of the Seelie Court, was in charge of getting the latest and most relevant information to the Heiress' ears.

Finally, Kymalin Iaro, Carleon's crown priestess and the deadliest magistrate, was in charge of training the new recruits before they were passed around to the other magistrates to go on several missions for the Heiress. Reeca's stomach had soured at that information. That's probably why Kymalin and her mentees had tracked Reeca in Asopus. It's just another field lesson for them.

Now, after a whole day of nothing but gathering information, Reeca and Elred didn't get anywhere as to where the thrones might be. It didn't help that they had to be discreet in directly saying what they're looking for and the average soldier didn't know much except who they're serving in exchange for a few versallis and what their roles were.