19 | Destruction (III)

2412, Iclis 20, Reshpe

A loud explosion tore Reeca off the darkness in a violent pull. Her eyes snapped open to see...grass? She was lying on her stomach this time, her face pressed against the forest floor. Birds twittered as they flitted through the undergrowth. The smell of dirt was heavy in her nose. This was...

Her body jerked, her limbs hovering and twisting without her consent. Soon, she was sitting on her haunches with her legs folded under her. Elred was positioned similarly beside her.

The wind shuffled her hair off her forehead. When she craned her neck, the sky was alarmingly blue like nothing was wrong. The sun shone upon them. The world moved through its rhythm the same way the calm existed before the storm. Reeca turned and Narfalk's expanse laid out like a rich carpet full of lush canopies, manicured roads, and varichriais going about their daily lives, oblivious of what was transpiring above them.

They're at the highest peak in Arcole, higher than even the mountain the Narfalk palace was built upon. A haze of clouds coated the patch of land that tapered into a steep point where Reeca and Elred knelt. What was the Sovereign planning?

The Sovereign spread her arms at the vast spread of civilization below them. "Welcome to Narfalk, Princess," she grinned. "Enjoy your last view of it."

Just as Reeca opened her mouth to reply, a deafening sound boomed in her ears. What—

Rocks as big as houses shot off the sides of the mountain and sailed down. Reeca lunged forward, to do something. Anything. Whatever held her back only tightened against her muscles. They couldn't...

Screams painted the air as the rocks slammed into the canopies. Wood crunched. Trees groaned. Reeca's breath turned ragged. The rocks. They're the same ones that felled Peltra. Now, it's Narfalk's turn.

This was all Reeca's fault.

The Sovereign threw her head back in glee, spreading her arms. White-hot magic speared in the air before latching to strange contraptions carved from the mountain itself. The ground shook as another volley of rocks rained down into Arcole. Varichriais from the capital city rose through the line of clouds with their weapons drawn. Hope blossomed in Reeca's chest. They're fighting.

The armed varichriais got within a mile from the peak when the Sovereign waved her hand again. Arrows as large and long as oars slammed into each one of them, seemingly from out of nowhere.

Blood colored the wind red. The Sovereign laughed, the sound a menace in Reeca's ears. With a wave of a hand, the Sovereign unleashed another round of rocks that bogged down Arcole's lower peaks. Even the birds that attempted to flee with their flocks had been skewered with those cursed arrows.

This has to stop.

Reeca gritted her teeth as she squirmed against her invisible bonds. Beside her, Elred was doing the same. Another legion of varichriais, no doubt hailed from Mora, sped for the peak they were in. The Sovereign felled most of them with arrows. Weaving energy flashed in the air with the fairies from below blocking the projectiles with their magic. It's not enough.