19 | Destruction (I)

2412, Iclis 19, Daleth

The glamour itched on Elred's skin as her head throbbed lightly. Maintaining two glamours for three days straight was not a walk in an estate. She sighed as she went out of the servants' quarters dressed as Kalida with Reeca trotting by her heels wearing Luce's skin, the servant the varichria talked to days ago. Just a few more hours and this would all be over.

One way or another.

Silence filled the common area as they passed it. Upstairs, as Elred memorized the base's layout. She kept an eye on the servants bustling around. They didn't need the original Luce seeing them or Kalida's friends getting jealous of her choosing another girl over them.

Soon, Reeca and Elred entered the forbidden wing. Even during her time here as a general, she had gone as far as the first room to the left and nowhere else. Her boots slapped against the carpeted floor, grateful for the trusty threads helping muffle her steps. The corridors were a blur as she sped towards her target.

She stopped in front of a door beside the Sovereign's library. "Check this," she glanced at the varichria.

"Really?" Reeca raised an eyebrow and braced her hips. "That's the most cliche thing ever."

"Just try it."

Reeca exhaled through her nose in a quick blow. She spread her hands and blue light sparked from her fingertips. Okay, one spell used up. Elred gritted her teeth as she watched the varichria crouch in front of the lock and flexed her magic at it. Securing spells popped into view, flickering on and off as Reeca worked on disabling them.

When the last spell clicked out of efficacy, the varichria stood up and gave Elred a mocked bow. "After you, Majesty."

Elred rolled her eyes before trudging into the room. Her eyes scanned lavish shelves, frames, windows with fake scenery of forests and mountains, smuggled vases, and piles of stuffed animals. Where in this room...

"What do you think?" Elred asked Reeca. The varichria didn't reply. In fact, Reeca had been quiet since they entered the room. Too quiet.

"Reeca, what—" Elred turned around to find the varichria gone.

Elred's blood drained from her face. Oh, great gods of Parkane.

 Oh, great gods of Parkane