21 | Farewell (I)

Xanthy's magic crackled to the surface with the Virtakios swirling along it

The Crown Princess growled as she jabbed her sword at Xanthy. She barely deflected it as she stumbled backward, bringing her sword up. Large wings like that of a bird grew off April's back, splaying away from her like a secondary dress. Her yellow hair had been braided but had loosened as their fight continued. A thin, gossamer dress covered her form void of any undergarments.

Xanthy ducked April's sword as it swiped for her head. Well, if the Crown Princess paid her clothes no mind, perhaps Xanthy shouldn't either. She lunged, blocking April's slash. The contact sent embers flying in the air and vibrations up Xanthy's arm. Cirasa was right. The girl stood no more than Xanthy's chin but damn, she could swing a sword.

April bore down upon Xanthy, their swords quivering with the force they each exerted against it. Xanthy hooked her foot through April's leg and pulled. Her other foot swept in a wild arc to kick the Heir's sword off her hand.

The air sprite went down. Her sword skittered away. In the distance, Nyxis knelt over June, pounding on the half-blood's chest. His lips moved in a silent plea, over and over.

Xanthy's world spun as a weight slammed into her chest. She crashed to the ground, her head hitting the dirt. April stumbled off Xanthy and gave her one cutting glare before scampering to where June was. Not so fast. Xanthy extended her hand, aiming for April's ankles. A spell sped off her fingers and locked into April's ankles. The Heir fell to her face. Xanthy lunged and kicked the Crown Princess' sword away before any of them could reach it.

"Whoever you are, step out of the way or I will have to kill you too," April dragged herself up with her feet still attached together.

Xanthy leveled her sword at April. "I kill people who hurt my friends. Run before I lose my patience."

April grinned and flapped her wings. A blast of wind stirred the dust but not enough to drive Xanthy back. A warning. That's what it was. April cocked her head to one side. "What can you do? You're just a pathetic brownie girl."

Something snapped inside Xanthy. Her vision tinged red as the Virtakios roared from her veins and slammed into April, leashing the air sprite's magic in place. The dwarven sword flashed against the sun as Xanthy lunged. This girl hurt June. She hurt Nyxis.

The Crown Princess should die.

That single word echoed in her mind like a festival drum. A scream pierced her mind. A scream that wasn't so far away. Somewhere...yeah. She knew that from somewhere. A memory—an important one. A choice.

Xanthy's eyes widened. A future.

She willed the red to reside from her vision and adjusted her aim. The tip of her sword tore through April's sleeve as it went right through her armpit. The heir's head slipped to her shoulder.

Xanthy's chest heaved. Still, she clasped her fingers on the back of April's head, reaching to the heir's magic with the Virtakios just to be sure. "If I ever met you again," she breathed against the Crown Princess' ear. "I'll make sure you won't survive the next time."

She shoved April away. The girl looked at her with murder in her eyes as she stumbled back. Xanthy clenched the hilt of the sword but lowered it. "Run."

April stepped back, flapped her wings once, and soared to the air. To her credit, the Crown Princess could run fast when she willed it.

A sigh heaved off Xanthy's chest. She turned her attention to her friends. Nyxis shoved potion after potion into June's mouth. Where did he even get those? His satchel? Probably. June coughed softly before retching once more.

Xanthy knelt beside him and touched his forehead. His skin was scalding against her touch. His chest barely rose and fell. He's too far off. "How is his trail?" Xanthy turned to Nyxis who rummaged around his satchel for more potions.

"He is breathing," was the human's only answer.

Of course. Nyxis said it like it's the only thing June's capable of right now. Sooner or later, June would be gone. Xanthy knew it without asking. Her hand disappeared inside her own bag and drew out the dark chalice. She opened her mouth to tell Nyxis what she found when a spell zipped towards her.

She fell back just as it slammed and exploded against a trunk where her head had just been. She shoved the chalice back to her satchel, stood, and faced the direction where it came from. The magic that crackled in the surface told her enough who initiated that spell.

Her blood boiled as she drew away from Nyxis and turned to the sky.

One final battle, then.