II: Park Jimin

"Class, this is Kim Taehyung. Unlike the rest of you, he hasn't been in public school for a while. Treat him nicely." 

Taehyung felt his cheeks heat up in pure mortification; everyone in this room had never attended high school before, so why did the teacher have to point out his situation? Still, he remained silent as he was instructed to sit in the very back of the room, where the only available seat was. 

In the desk next to his sat a boy with black hair with a large, pink sweater covering his frame. His cheeks looked either chubby or sunken-in depending on the angle (to Taehyung, they were sunken). He was doodling in a notebook, flinching when Taehyung plopped into the seat next to him. 

Now closer, Taehyung noticed the silver decorating the boy's ears, as well as his small fingers. He was a very cute boy. 

"H-hi."

The boy's gaze lifted to the other boy, fear and confusion flashing in his dark-brown eyes. "Hello," he mumbled, only smiling when Taehyung cracked a grin. 

"What's your name? I'm Taehyung."

The boy's eyes drifted to his doodles, where the name Park Jimin was scrawled in various styles of calligraphy. "Jimin is a nice name," Taehyung pointed out, and Jimin blushed a little.

"Thank you. Your name is unique, too."

They both fell silent after that, but it wasn't awkward in the slightest; in fact, both boys found comfort in the silence.

Taehyung thought today was going to be pretty bad, but after his short conversation with Jimin, he began to have second thoughts. He quickly took a liking to the boy who, even though his words were simple and he didn't make eye contact, managed to radiate a rather cozy aura.

Taehyung hoped he provided the same for Jimin. 

-------

"Did you like Busan? I loved it there, and sometimes I wish we never moved. But Momma got a better job here in Seoul," Jimin rambled as they walked to the second level of the school, where their psychology class was.

Taehyung shrugged, pushing his big square glasses back up his nose. "No, I didn't. I liked one thing about Busan and that was it." 

It was true that he didn't like Busan. The only good thing about it was Jeon Jungkook. 

Jimin pouted but understood, pausing as they reached the top of the stairs. "It's not for everyone. Neither is Seoul, but everyone here claims it is. It's nice here." 

They continued down the hall, conversing about random things that meant nothing to either one of them. For them, it was lovely to make a friend on the first day of school. In class, they managed to score seats next to each other, which made both boys smile.

Psychology was shared with all the grades, meaning there were quite a few upperclassmen in the class. The real troublemakers were the sophomores, though. The few around the pair of freshmen glared at Jimin. He immediately sank down in his chair. 

Taehyung didn't ask, but he silently wondered what these strangers had against an innocent freshman like Jimin. 

"Kid, it's like summer. Why are you wearing a sweater?" one of them asked as another one pushed on Jimin's shoulders. 

"Yeah, and why is it pink? Are you a fag or something?" 

Taehyung frowned and turned around, glaring at the two boys behind him and Jimin. "You say that, yet you're wearing a Pride bracelet. Don't be a hypocrite," he said to the second boy, then turned to the first, "And so what if he's wearing pink? It's just a color and frankly, with your skin tone, pink hair would suit you wonderfully." 

Both sophomores shut up and, with a satisfied smirk on his face, Taehyung turned back to Jimin. 

"Thanks, Tae," Jimin mumbled, giving the boy a little smile. 

"We're friends, right? Friends take care of each other." Taehyung nudged Jimin's shoulder, sending him a wink. 

Jimin blushed; he was starting to really like Kim Taehyung.