5

Taehyung was laying in bed with Namjoon. He was too afraid to fall asleep, so the younger man volunteered to spend the night in order to help the older man feel safe enough to sleep. Taehyung's head rested on his friend's chest, counting his heartbeats and taking note of the miniscule malfunction left over from open-heart surgery when he was in high school.

Namjoon himself was dozing off, both of his arms enclosing his best friend in comfort. Occasionally, he would pat the older man's head and promise him that he wouldn't sleep until Taehyung did. He would chuckle when Taehyung would nuzzle him in an attempt to get more comfortable. 

"For someone who's older than me, you're a big baby," he mumbled, his eyes closing once more. 

"Hey, Joon?"

"Hm."

"Just want to say thank you. You put up with my bullshit and I have no idea why."

Namjoon frowned and patted Taehyung's shoulder. "I've told you why. You've done so much for me and I love you. So shut up and let me care for you."

Taehyung let out a breathy laugh and nodded, letting out a content hum. "I love you so much."

-------

Jackson and Taehyung sat in the latter's living room, anxiously flicking their eyes between the news and their phones. 

"He should be here by now. He would have answered by now," Jackson muttered, slightly rushed and muffled by his hands. 

Taehyung just sat there, staring off into space. A sinking feeling started in his stomach, bringing on slight nausea; something must have happened to Namjoon. 

He immediately called back whenever he missed a call; he would have notified one of them in advance if he was going to be late or busy. 

Between the two worried friends, Namjoon's phone probably had over a hundred missed calls and texts, all of them unopened. Something was seriously wrong. 

Just then, breaking news interrupted the stupid ice cream commercial playing on the flatscreen.

"A shooting happened last night outside the local college campus. The shooters were identified and arrested, but one person was killed." 

A picture of Namjoon appeared on the screen. Jackson screamed while Taehyung's heart stopped. 

"Kim Namjoon, twenty-six, was caught in the crossfire of the shooting."

Jackson turned the television off after that. He screamed, cried, and cursed the world for taking the love of his life away from him. "I was going to propose to him tonight..." 

Taehyung sat there in silence, tears rushing down his face like a waterfall. It seemed that everyone he loved kept getting taken away from him, and he was powerless to stop it.

double-update because I'm going to the beach for a week. 

Happy Days!

- Tae