5

Taehyung was fifty-three when Yoongi was admitted to the hospital. 

The metastasis on his liver grew; his liver was beginning to fail and everyone knew that.

Yoongi wasn't too happy about being hospitalized, but he understood that he didn't really have a choice. At least the staff allowed him to sleep with his own blankets that Taehyung would bring from home. They smelled like his husband and brought him extreme comfort when Taehyung couldn't physically be there. 

Jihoon and Chan got married before Yoongi was hospitalized; after their honeymoon, they came to visit Yoongi three times a week. Yeji and Sunwoo visited as well, bringing their twin boys, Taeil and Taeyong, with them. 

Yoongi wasn't upset about missing out on anything; he saw both of his children get married; he was a grandfather and spent time with his grandkids; he had a loving husband to take care of him. 

He knew time was running out, but he already accepted that. 

"Oh, you're so big!" Yoongi giggled, pressing kisses to Taeyong's cheeks. 

Taehyung was holding Taeil, who took to tugging off his socks. The little baby reminded him of two people: his brother and his ex-boyfriend. 

Taeil was a tiny bit more on the spectrum than Hoseok, and he had his older brother's name. Taehyung's brother wasn't a good person -- he turned into a meth addict and tried to kill their sister -- but he knew that his grandson wouldn't turn out like that. 

"Pa!" Taeyong squealed, bouncing in Yoongi's hold. 

Taehyung laughed as he watched his husband's smile grow even wider, occasionally wincing whenever Taeil screeched. 

"I love seeing you happy, babe."

Yoongi looked to his husband, his smile softening just a little. He felt horrible. A piece of him died each day, but he had his family to help him forget about it for a while; he had Taehyung to get him through each day. 

Keeping one arm wrapped around Taeyong, Yoongi reached out to hold Taehyung's hand. "You make me happy. You and our family." 

The younger man hummed, squeezing the older man's hand. "I wish you could get a transplant. Feel better about everything." 

Yoongi shook his head, giving his husband a sad smile. "I'm too weak, Taehyung. When it's my time to go, then it's my time to go."

They both knew that the timer was running out much faster than they liked. 

-------

Yoongi passed away in his sleep a week later. 

That entire week, Taehyung refused to go home because he wanted to be there for Yoongi; he knew his husband wouldn't make it through the rest of the month. 

When Yoongi died, his hand went limp in Taehyung's and the heart monitor flatlined, but something rather odd happened. 

Taehyung felt a rush of energy flow through him; Yoongi's soul passed through him. 

He cried because his husband, his home, was no longer on the planet, but he was relieved that Yoongi was forever free of pain. 

Out of all the death Taehyung faced in his life, the death of his husband was the least painful. 

For the first few days, Taehyung hated himself for thinking like that. He lost his life partner! How did it hurt less than everyone else!? Did he not love Yoongi like he thought he did?

No, he loved Yoongi so much that he married him. 

Finally, he came to realize that all of their time together was never wasted, never taken for granted, and Taehyung wanted nothing more than for Yoongi to be free of the pain his cancer put him through. 

The couple had accepted Yoongi's fate together, which lessened Taehyung's pain just a little bit. 

Yoongi found peace; Taehyung decided to devote the rest of his life to finding peace, too.