2

"I can't believe Dad is going on a date," Jihoon murmured as he stared up at Taehyung. 

They stood in the living room, listening to the faint sounds of Yoongi complaining and Yeji insisting. 

"You're not used to your dad dating?" Taehyung asked, earning a shake of the head. 

"No, honestly. Dad never wanted to get hurt again, and he didn't want us in danger."

"So...I'm special?" 

Jihoon chuckled lightly, running a hand through his hair. "You are, Mr Kim. Something about you made Dad want to start dating, and I have no clue what it is. But since we've met you..." Jihoon stepped closer to Taehyung, wiping a stray tear from his eye, "Dad is so much happier with you here. Thank you."

Yoongi smiled at the sight of Jihoon hugging Taehyung. Unlike Yeji, Jihoon was silently protective of his father. He never trusted any of Yoongi's friends, so the fact that his son was hugging his date made him incredibly happy. 

Both of his children approved of Taehyung. 

"Woozi, let go of Taehyung-ssi. He and Dad are gonna go now," Yeji laughed, tugging on her brother, then led him to another part of the house.

"That's a cute sweater, Taehyung. You look like a teddy bear," Yoongi said with a chuckle, stepping closer to his date. 

Taehyung hummed and held his arm out for the older man to take. Yoongi laughed a bit harder and accepted the sweet gesture. 

"So, since you were so vague about tonight, what are we doing?" he asked as the  door fell shut behind them, and they started walking down the road. 

"I didn't really have a plan. I'm feeling really shitty today, but I still wanted to spend time with you." 

Yoongi frowned and squeezed Taehyung's bicep. "How many cigarettes did you smoke today?" 

He knew the younger man was trying to quit, but knew it was such a difficult thing to do. 

"Four."

Yoongi was satisfied with that answer. It was significantly less than the amount Taehyung used to smoke. "Progress is progress, Taehyung. That's good."

Both men felt a little warmer as they continued walking down the street; Taehyung tucked Yoongi under his arm when the wind picked up. 

"There's this cat cafe two blocks over. Their coffee is really good," Taehyung spoke up after a little while. 

Yoongi smiled. "I'd like that a lot."

-------

"Happy birthday, Taehyungie! You're forty now!" Yoongi cheered, placing a kiss on his boyfriend's cheek. 

Taehyung blushed at that, earning laughter from the kids. Yeji was hugging her brother, who was sitting at the kitchen table across from Taehyung. 

"Come on, make a wish!" Yeji urged. 

"Go on!" Jihoon chirped, giving the adults his best smile. 

Everyone cheered loudly when Taehyung blew out his candles, allowing his eyes to remain closed for a little longer. 

He opened his eyes, finding Yoongi smiling so lovingly at him. It was a look he thought he'd never receive from anyone ever again. He leaned over and pressed his lips to the older man's, uncaring of the kids' presence. "Thank you, hyungie," he whispered, earning a giggle.

Yoongi pulled away with a smile, ruffling the younger adult's hair. "Serve the kids cake. I need to go get your real present."

When Yoongi disappeared down the hall, Yeji and Jihoon gazed at Taehyung, expressions serious. 

"You know we love you, right?" Yeji asked, watching Taehyung cut the cake. 

"I do, and I'm grateful. I love you guys, too." 

Jihoon accepted his slice of cake, waiting for his sister to most-likely steal it from him. "We're grateful for you Taehyung. You brought so much happiness into our lives, especially Dad's."

Taehyung couldn't help but grin down stupidly at his birthday cake. 

For the two years he had been dating Yoongi, he always feared that he wasn't enough for Yoongi; that Yoongi wasn't happy with their relationship. Some nights, his abandonment issues would resurface, keeping himself and Yoongi awake all night. It was good to know that he brought the older man as much happiness as Yoongi brought Taehyung. 

Soon enough, Yoongi made his way back to the dining room, something hidden behind his back. 

"Kim Taehyung," he sighed, a nervous blush dusting his cheeks. 

He knelt down beside the younger man's chair, taking a few calming breaths. "I'm not good at explaining my feelings, but I do love you more than you can know." 

Taehyung's eyes widened as Yoongi pulled a ring box from behind his back. 

"Kim Taehyung, will you marry me?"