chapter ten

C H A P T E R  T E N ( warning: smut ahead! )

C H A P T E R T E N
( warning: smut ahead! )

"I WANT YOU TWO OUT OF THERE. TONIGHT."

Champ's final decision brought anger and frustration to Audrey. He was willing to ignore the bad outcome that would happen if a bloodbath was the end result of the benefit gala.

"Champ, sir, with all due respect we cannot leave. If we do, we'll have even more things to handle besides this Golden Circle cartel. We'll also have a drug war with two of the largest and most dangerous cartels on this planet. We'll have more people dying than we do right now." Audrey argued against his decision. She did so in hopes he could change his mind, but he didn't seem like he was budging.

"I understand that, Agent Gareth. I do, but the safety of my agents is my top concern. I stand by our oath to protect the innocent, but I draw that line with my agents. I protect my agents first then the innocent." Champ responded with a defeated tone in his voice.

Audrey knew Champ wanted to side with her. He didn't want to lose them while they attempted to stop the possible bloodbath at the gala.

"Please return home as soon as possible you two," Champ said before he ended the hologram meeting.

Audrey and Whiskey both took off their Statesman-issued glasses. She tossed hers onto space beside her on the couch. Whiskey gently placed his own on the coffee table in front of them.

"He's right, Audrey." Whiskey spoke in a soft tone in hopes he would convince his partner to go home and not by force. "Matters will get worse if we let this happen, but that's something we're willing to risk. I would rather you and I be safe at HQ than having them come here to find us dead. I want the both of us to be safe. I want you to be safe."

"I get that, Whiskey. I do, but this outcome isn't going to be helping our situation. I rather take the slim chance that we can stop what's going to happen at the gala." Audrey protested as grabbed her glasses and got up to pace the room. "I want us to be safe but I swore by this oath to protect the innocent, and I'm sticking to it."

"People who dabble in the drug world aren't innocent people, Audrey. You know that." Whiskey responded as he leaned forward to set his elbows to rest on his knees. He watched Audrey pace the length of the room from his seat on the couch.

"And who are we to judge who's innocent or not? We're not in any place to do that, and we shouldn't try to be." She snapped at her partner as she stopped pacing.

"Those people kill innocent ones on a daily basis. Their greedy asses launder money, ruin our youth, kill, and sell drugs." Whiskey stood to his feet as he snapped back his own response. "Like hell, we are to judge. We protect the innocent and only the innocent."

Audrey stood stunned by her partner's words. Whiskey had never gotten so heated up about something like he just did. It may have been personal to him, but he shouldn't be letting it cloud his judgment.