Fail Safe

She wrapped the lasso around her hand.

Once. Twice.

She unwrapped it and began the cycle over again.

It helped her keep her centered, something her mom had taught her all those years ago on the island. The lasso guides us. It leads up where we need to go.

Alex wasn't sure she believed her mother's words, but she supposed it was better than nothing. The methodical rhythm of her hands against the warmth of the golden rope calmed her down before missions.

It was her meditation.

And it was now being broken by the sound of Leonard's grating voice.

"So you ditched the armor huh?"

Alex blew a strand of hair away from her eyes, tucking the stray behind her ear as she hooked the lasso to her side. "Yeah, I felt wearing red, yellow, and blue didn't exactly scream covert mission."

She caught the barest glimpse of a smirk as he leaned against the door, his eyes narrowed at the woman standing before him.

"That's too bad," Snart replied, "I'm sure Raymond would've appreciated seeing you in it as you saved him."

Alex scoffed at the insinuation, pulling her jacket over her shoulders again, "This mission is about Stein, not your partner and Ray."

Leonard didn't buy it.

"Right, that's why you tore into Rip earlier" Snart commented, lifting his brow in a teasing gesture, "It was for your general love for Stein and not because you wanted to get Boy Scout back?"

She pressed his gun into his chest, staring him down as a tense air settled over them.

"Our priority is saving Stein and the future" She emphasized, "If that means leaving Ray and Mick behind, then I'm doing it."

She shoved the guilt down into her gut, ignoring the voice in her head that wanted to protest her declaration. She couldn't allow herself to get distracted, not even by one of her friends.

"You ready?' Sara asked, pushing a knife into her side pocket. Alex nodded, adjusting the strap of her sword as the door of the Waverider opened to allow them outside.

"Alright," Rip began, taking charge. She resisted the urge to roll her eyes. "Alex, Sara you go after Stein, do not let him get in that lab."

She nodded curtly, Leonard and her rolling the gurney down toward the lab, a hushed conversation passing between the assassin and crook as they rounded the corner.

"How does it feel to be dead again?" She heard Leonard tease the blonde and she shot him a look.

"Would you two shut up please?" She begged, trying to keep her composure, "Take the next left."

They did as she was told, fighting their way through the reluctant guards with relative ease as they tied them up in the closet next to them.

"Okay," Sara breathed, "This duct should take us to solitary, we just need to get to Stein--"

"Yeah, I'm not going" Leonard dropped on the both of them. Alex whipped her head around in frustration.

"What the hell?" She raced after him, catching him before he left.

Leonard shared a look with her, "Last chance to come with Girl Scout" He explained, a cocky look in his blue eyes.

"I told you," She began, "My priority is the mission."

"And Mine's Mick."

He cocked his gun, turning his back on the two women.

Sara's anger burst out of her, "So much for your code, crook!" She called after him.