Night of the Hawk Part Two

"You know what I've always wanted to try?" Ray's voice carried into the living room, a wide smile on his face as Kendra popped her head around the kitchen beam, an unsure look in her wide eyes. "Those TV dinners my parents used to ramble about."

Kendra's chuckle validated his claim, sending a spurt of happiness up into his chest, his smile growing wider.

"I'm serious," He continued, "My parents used to rave about how great it was to just have everything ready-made for you. It was ridiculous."

Kendra didn't seem to buy it but she shrugged along with him, "Alright, I guess tonight is TV dinner night." She grabbed her coat and pecked his cheek, red moving across his face as he watched her retreating figure.

Ray went back to unpacking the dishes and silverware Gideon had fabricated for them, curious as to what was keeping Alex up in her room. He would've suspected that she would've finished unpacking a while ago.

Carefully deconstructing the cardboard box and placing it with the pile in the storage closet, Ray made his way upstairs, training his ear for any sign of her light footsteps or her airy breathing. He got none of that.

Rounding the corner, he saw that nothing had been unpacked from the initial boxes. In fact, they looked like they hadn't been touched since that morning.

And Alex was nowhere to be seen.

Ray's chest began to constrict at the thoughts that ran through his head. She had abandoned them. She had taken her chance to head home and left them to deal with Savage alone.

Ray should've known better. He should've known what to expect after Felicity.

No matter what he said, Alex would always choose her home over a few people she barely knew.

He had no impact. His words meant nothing to people.

They mean something to Kendra, his brain reminded him. That's why you like her.

He smiled fondly at that thought, recalling his initial encounters with the demigoddess. He almost found himself wishing that it was her he had saved all those weeks ago instead of Alex.

Ray shook his head at the awful thought, hoping it was enough to remove it from his brain completely.

He shouldn't wish that. Alex was a valuable member of the team and he should respect her decision to head back to her family.

Maybe they were all she had left.

That doesn't excuse her abandoning them in the fifties. His brain whispered. That doesn't excuse her not saying goodbye.

Ray didn't know why he was so surprised. He should've known something was off when she was talking to Snart that morning. Hardly any breakfast, she wasn't talking to him.

He thought they had something... well it didn't matter anymore.

She was gone and he needed to focus on the mission at hand. He couldn't get distracted by anyone. Kendra or Alex.

The creaking of the door was heard and he jumped up to meet Kendra and finally get to try those delicious dinners his parents and Anna used to rave about.

The doorbell pulled them out of their authentic 50s experience, bringing them back to earth.

"Coming! I'm coming." Kendra yelled, setting the tinfoil tray down and wiping her hands with a napkin before walking up to the door.

"Welcome to the neighborhood" The woman chuckled, grasping hold of Kendra's hand and shaking it intensely.

Kendra looked taken aback, "Thank you. Thank you so much, Miss..." She waited for the woman to give her name.