Left Behind Part Two

The weather seemed to reflect Ray's mood more and more. Bright sunbeams warmed his back through his tweed jacket. He was finally starting to feel like he was fitting in. Like he was making a difference in these kid's lives. He was still adjunct, but he was certain in a few more years he'd be moved up to a permanent faculty member in the physics department.

God knows they need it.

His chest still tugged when he thought of his time with the Legends. It was the best he had felt in years, he was doing what he originally set out to do. He was saving the world with good people by his side.

He was making a difference.

But these past two years had made it clear that they weren't coming back, and as he held the box in his hand, a slight wind in his hair, he knew his time beacon wouldn't work. Which was why he was gifting it to Kendra.

She supported him through everything, stuck by him and loved him when no one else would. His heart tightened as an image of Alex passed through his brain but he shook it away, plastering a smile on his face as he met Kendra's gaze.

"Happy second anniversary." His smile grew wider as he handed her the white and red dotted box.

"Happy anniversary." Kendra's gaze shifted downward as she accepted the present, "I thought we said no gifts."

Ray shrugged, excitement building in his stomach at the thought of her reaction, "I know. Just open it."

Kendra's eyes were coy, peeking through her dark lashes as she lifted the lid off the box, her expression dropping into an unreadable one, "Your time beacon?" Surprise was certainly present, but Ray couldn't put his finger on the rest of her wide array of emotions.

Still, he told himself it was a good thing, "I thought we could destroy it together." He explained, grabbing the hammer from his bag.

She shook her head, her hesitation reminding him of Alex's way back when, "You don't have to do that." She comforted, readying her argument to save it.

Ray knew she wouldn't be happy until he destroyed it. "I want to." He cut her off, readying the speech he had spent hours preparing in his head for this exact moment. The speech he wanted to give at Christmas before his conversation with Alex months before made him hesitate. "You know, I never thought that I could build a life with anybody but Anna," He began, still shuddering from his last conversation about the dead woman, "But, um, that's exactly what we've done, in the most unlikely time and place imaginable." Ray took another deep breath in, "And I know it may sound strange, but I'm glad that we were stranded here."

He noticed the same look of hesitation cross Kendra's face again.

"Me too." She finally responded.

The tension left Ray's shoulders and he knew this was the right decision. He reached into his bag, fingers tracing the outline of the ring he'd been hoarding for a year, "I have one more surprise for you."

Her tone was chastising, almost disappointed for breaking their anniversary rules, "Ray--"

Their conversation was cut off by a beeping.

Ray froze. He'd spent the past two years trying to create that sound. Trying to reach out to the vehicle that would answer back.

And now...it was here.

The Legends were here.

But somehow their interruption of his proposal wasn't the worst part. Ray scoffed inwardly, realizing his mistake.

The worst part was that Alex had been right. That they were always coming back for them.

And he had given up so easily.