𝐃 𝐄 𝐀 𝐃 𝐎 𝐍 𝐄 𝐒, 𝘮𝘢𝘳𝘬 𝘭.

𝘚𝘶𝘮𝘮𝘢𝘳𝘺: 𝘐𝘯 𝘢 𝘻𝘰𝘮𝘣𝘪𝘦 𝘢𝘱𝘰𝘤𝘢𝘭𝘺𝘱𝘴𝘦, 𝘺𝘰𝘶 𝘥𝘰𝘯'𝘵 𝘮𝘦𝘦𝘵 𝘮𝘢𝘯𝘺 𝘧𝘳𝘪𝘦𝘯𝘥𝘴 𝘢𝘯𝘥 𝘮𝘰𝘴𝘵 𝘵𝘪𝘮𝘦𝘴 𝘺𝘰𝘶 𝘮𝘢𝘺 𝘦𝘯𝘥 𝘶𝘱 𝘢𝘭𝘰𝘯𝘦 𝘣𝘶𝘵 𝘵𝘩𝘦𝘴𝘦 𝘵𝘸𝘰 𝘧𝘳𝘪𝘦𝘯𝘥𝘴 𝘩𝘢𝘷𝘦 𝘧𝘰𝘶𝘨𝘩𝘵 𝘵𝘰𝘨𝘦𝘵𝘩𝘦𝘳 𝘧𝘰𝘳 𝘢 𝘭𝘰𝘯𝘨 𝘵𝘪𝘮𝘦 𝘢𝘯𝘥 𝘯𝘰 𝘮𝘢𝘵𝘵𝘦𝘳 𝘸𝘩𝘢𝘵 𝘩𝘢𝘱𝘱𝘦𝘯𝘴, 𝘵𝘩𝘦𝘺'𝘭𝘭 𝘢𝘭𝘸𝘢𝘺𝘴 𝘣𝘦 𝘵𝘩𝘦𝘳𝘦 𝘧𝘰𝘳 𝘦𝘢𝘤𝘩 𝘰𝘵𝘩𝘦𝘳.

𝘛𝘢𝘨𝘴: 𝘻𝘰𝘮𝘣𝘪𝘦 𝘢𝘱𝘰𝘤𝘢𝘭𝘺𝘱𝘴𝘦, 𝘧𝘳𝘪𝘦𝘯𝘥𝘴, 𝘴𝘩𝘦𝘭𝘵𝘦𝘳, 𝘔𝘢𝘳𝘬 𝘓𝘦𝘦 𝘢𝘶

𝘌𝘯𝘫𝘰𝘺 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘳𝘦𝘢𝘥 ~☕️

╔═══    *.·:·.☽✧ ✦ ✧☾.·:·.*    ═══╗

╚═══    *

╚═══    *.·:·.☽✧ ✦ ✧☾.·:·.*    ═══╝

THIS was our new, new. Our new normal I should say. Days would go by without even being able to say a word to each other before we were on our feet again. I was restless and I'm sure you were too. I wanted to tell you that I am sorry. I'm sorry that I shot her in the head right in front of you.

What was I supposed to do? She would have killed you and you know that.

"Mark, how long are you going to be mad at me? It's almost been two weeks and you haven't said a thing. How many times do I have to apologize?" I truly wanted to know.

Mark only ignores me, as I expected of him and we carry on through the forest. The sun was beginning to disappear, a clear sign that we needed to get back to the sanctuary as soon as possible. It gets dark fast in the summer. We pick up our pace, stumbling over fallen tree branches and prickly leaves. As we near the sanctuary there's a loud commotion in the air and Mark pulls me back as he stalks behind a tree.

The sanctuary was erupting with flames and gunshots ripple through the air as the dead ones pile up against the gate. They got in and more are coming. I couldn't believe it, were they all going to die? All of the people that had welcomed us in? We need to do something.

I take out my gun, ready to shoot the motherfuckers when Mark stops me.

"What're you doing? They're going to die, we have to help them!" I could feel my eyes sting as tears fell from them, smoke rising and into them.

"Clarissa, we have to leave. Shooting them from here will only attract more of them." Why did you always have to be right?

I knew that more of them would only come but we have to get out of here before it's too late. I take one last final look to the sanctuary, thinking that maybe if I had stayed I could have prevented this. Things like this happen and there's nothing I could have done to prevent it. we have to keep moving. It's what our friends would have wanted.

Mark grabs my hand and we run through the forest killing the dead ones that had followed us by hand. I hated running, I hated the constant state of survival mode we had to live in. I don't know how long I could take this but I'm glad I have you by my side.

After hours of running, we finally find a place to rest inside of an old shack. I pour water into my eyes to stop the burning and sigh. It felt so good and my skin felt like I had sat in the sun all day. Once again I'm left with silence as Mark scrummages through the place trying to find anything useful. I sit on the floor and rest my head on my bag.

"Do you remember these?" Mark asks, twirling a Twix candy bar between his fingers. He throws one to me.

"It feels like ages since I've last had one. I only ever really liked them because Soohyun would always..." his head is slumped forward as he stares at the candy in his hands.

I frown, my heart aching as I look at his solemn eyes. I know it wasn't easy, losing someone you loved. I wanted to hug him, I would do anything to make him feel better but I knew I couldn't. It would take more than a hug. It would take time.

"Clar, I'm not mad at you for what you did. I'm mad at myself. I should have been smart. I knew that Soohyun was bitten but I acted as nothing happened." He exhales, taking a bite of the Twix.

"I shouldn't have ignored you for this long, you're my best friend. We're all we have left in this fucked up world." His words make my lips curl upward and the night goes on in peaceful silence.

We would get through this together, somehow.

The End.