Chapter 16

Illumi's POV

"Oh yes, come over please," He nods into the phone.

"Alright, I'll see you in a few," Chrollo says over the line before hanging up. Illumi gets back to work on the piece he was designing. Hisoka would probably not come over, or want company today since he is practicing for his showcase. Perfect time to work on this piece... A piece just for him. Illumi asked Chrollo over to help give an outward eye. Illumi isn't sure how else to show how much he cares for Hisoka, so he thought making him a new costume would work. It is full of beautiful turquoises and soft creamy whites. Illumi wants Hisoka to feel as confident as he always portrays himself.

Something told Illumi the ego is more of a mask to something deeper. Half true, half covering up something. Hisoka always threatened to bring smiles to his face. The way he would smooth his way over any situation, the way his voice would send shivers down Illumi's spine, the way his fingers delicately touched Illumi... Illumi shakes his head, pinning the piece up on the mannequin. He takes a step back, really imagining Hisoka in it so far... Hisoka would probably glide across the floor, and put an arm around his waist and pull him way too close...

Illumi jumps as there's a knock on the door, he looks over and Chrollo walks in.

"C'mere," Illumi beckons, waving his hand wildly for Chrollo to come over.

Chrollo comes to his side and looks at the unfinished piece on the mannequin. He feels the fabric then glances at Illumi. "For Hisoka?"

Illumi nods. "So?"

"Why are you so obsessed with him?"

The question catches Illumi off guard. "Sorry?" Illumi looks at Chrollo, blinking a few times. What kind of question was that? Chrollo moves closer and Illumi backs up in response, Hisoka is the only one he let get close like this... Close with that tension, the kind where he was going to be kissed. Illumi finds his back against the wall.

"What's so good about Hisoka? What makes him make you so crazy...? Why does he get your attention? What makes him perfect?" Chrollo hums, leaning in closer.

Illumi closes his eyes, trying to figure out how to respond when suddenly Chrollo's lips are on his. Illumi can hardly wrap his head around the situation when the door slams and he pushes Chrollo away. Illumi runs to the door, throwing it open to see Hisoka walking away. His body looks worn down, his back slouched, something Hisoka never did.

"Hisoka!" Illumi calls desperately but the man is out of his vision in seconds.

"Good, he's gone," Chrollo mutters. "Illumi-"

"He's my soulmate!" Illumi cries out.

Chrollo's expression falls. "Illumi, I'm so sorry... I didn't realize..."

"Hey, what happened? Why did Hisoka walk out of here looking like he saw death?" Machi glances down the hall before looking back at Illumi.

"Chrollo kissed me," Illumi says and he watches Machi's face fall too. Her gaze flickers to Chrollo, pain written all over and then she runs away too. "Machi!"

"I had given up on finding my mate..." Chrollo says, his voice pained. "That's why I pursued you... But I think I just found her..."

"Leave," Illumi practically growls and Chrollo wastes no time in leaving the hotel room.

Illumi sits on the couch, and it's not sure how long it takes him before he notices the tears falling onto his hands. He gets up and looks in a mirror to find himself crying. Why is he crying? Why does Hisoka mean so much to him? Soulmates were not supposed to be such a burden... No Hisoka isn't a burden. Hisoka deserves better than this.

Hisoka deserves better than the man looking back at Illumi in the mirror. The one who can't figure out why it hurts so much, why he's crying. Hisoka doesn't deserve the man who told him he didn't want a soulmate.

Hisoka deserves another perfect man. Not the man looking back at Illumi... Not him...