Chapter 23

Soulmates should not be this hard, are Hisoka's thoughts as he walks, hands in pockets. Killua and Gon seemed to be doing better again, but the past two days, Hisoka has sulked. Illumi had made no move to say anything, it is eating Hisoka up inside. He walks into the very empty dance studio, being allowed in the school despite the fact they were off.

Hisoka dances away his pain. Or so he tries.

Illumi... Illumi is the moon and Hisoka is the sun, always chasing him and never reaching him. Illumi is the cool night that is uninviting yet so enticing. His hair wispy like the night breeze, and his eyes the turmoil of the night sky. His skin is the stars, shimmering white moondust, too delicate to touch. His voice is the welcomed silence and his laugh the sound of the rare owl's cry. Illumi's touch is the clouds that wisp over the moon. Illumi's entirety is that of the night. Illumi's perfection is way above Hisoka as he is the cool and accepting moon and Hisoka is the blazing and bitter sun.

He pants, looking at himself in the mirror, gentle clapping behind him.

"You're thinking of him," Machi says softly and Hisoka looks at her through the mirror.

"What makes you say that?" Hisoka raises an eyebrow.

"You dance differently when you think of him," Machi explains, grabbing his water and walking over, handing it to him. "You dance... More perfectly, if that's possible."

"Thanks...?" Hisoka takes a swig of his water.

Machi offers a small smile. "So, I'm not going back home."

"What?" Hisoka falters, looking over at her in surprise.

"I'm staying here. Chrollo asked me to move in with him... But I wanted to come talk to you about that," Machi takes a deep breath and Hisoka's heart both crumbles and swells with happiness. His heart crumbling due to his fear of Illumi saying no growing, for whatever reason. And swells at the thought of Machi staying. She has become quite the friend, dare he say he would quite miss her if she left.

"Talk away, my love," he teases softly, leading her to the little lounge area at the back of the studio.

"I... I want to know if things go south with Chrollo, could I always find a place to stay with you?" Machi hugs herself, looking away.

"Machi," Hisoka shakes his head. "You know you always have a home with me."

Machi smiles and throws her arms around him but quickly backs away. "Ew, you're sweaty," she scrunches her nose in disgust.

Hisoka laughs and threateningly holds a sweaty hand out to her, which she reels back from in turn. He shakes his head a little and slumps onto a couch. Machi sits a safe distance away, causing a smirk to play at Hisoka's lips.

"When are you asking Illumi to stay?" Machi prompts.

"I don't know if I am," Hisoka sighs softly, looking away from her.

"What do you mean!? You have to!" Machi counters quickly. "He'll say yes! I know it, I have a gut feeling."

"A gut feeling isn't a for sure thing, Machi. You know how close he is to his family... Even his horrible mother."

Machi sinks into the couch dejectedly. "My hunches are credible..."

"Sorry Machi, I'm really on the fence with this one."

Machi looks at him for a moment before aggressively blowing air from her nose. She jumps up, putting her hands on her hips and taking stance in front of Hisoka.

"You are going to ask Illumi to stay. I am not going to watch you fall apart when Illumi leaves. I just won't! Illumi will say yes! Hisoka you love him!" Machi cries out.