Chapter 24

Hisoka pulls up at Chrollo's house, his face a little sunken but mostly hidden in his layer of makeup. The past few days had been really rough on him and his stress is through the roof. He gently knocks on Chrollo's door before walking in.

"Hey, I'm here," Hisoka calls, kicking off his shoes. No response. He rolls his eyes as he walks to the living room, Chrollo was often there reading and he could get immersed in books. When he gets into the living room however he's bombarded by a "surprise" from many familiar voices. His eyes widen a little as his gaze flickers around the room, his friends filling the space. Even a few of his classmates.

His birthday! It's his birthday today! He completely forgot. Getting over his surprise, he smiles at the waiting crowd. His sullen mood lifted almost instantly.

"Happy birthday, Hisoka," Illumi says softly, pinning one of the stupid 'birthday boy' pins to his shirt. Hisoka watches his delicate fingers slip the needle through all too easily, having done similar motions for most of his life.

"You guys really did this for me?" Hisoka muses, glancing up at the others. He is sure the joy is written in his eyes, despite being unable to fully express it.

"Of course we did Hisoka," Gon rolls his eyes. "But wait 'til you see what Chrollo, Machi, and Illumi did for you. Everyone else's gifts will be put to shame." Gon whines slightly.

Hisoka raises an eyebrow, shaking his head slightly. "I'm sure all your gifts are amazing," he offers to Gon. And all their gifts will be, considering he didn't expect any of this.

"Come," Illumi pulls him away from the crowd, down the hall towards Chrollo's studio. No one else could see it, but he could, he can see Illumi's pure excitement. Hisoka walks into the room, freezing at the door when he sees the masterpieces before him.

In the center of the room, a beautiful painting of himself and Illumi is hoisted on an easel. Below sat gift bags and wrapped presents. Around the room sat mannequins bearing outfits made very clearly for himself. Hisoka's eyes continue to trail over everything, his mouth opening and closing as for maybe the first time in his life, he's left speechless.

He can feel everyone behind him, waiting for a reaction. He feels tears come to his eyes but Hisoka refuses to let them fall. Then his gaze searches for Illumi. Illumi's gaze is already watching, calculating, waiting.

"So?" Gon presses finally at the silence.

Hisoka smiles, turning around to face everyone. "Thank you," he gives them his best performance look, the smooth voice, his personality that made people swoon. Hisoka wants them to know, to understand how much it means to him.

"Alright let's eat cake now!" Killua calls and the crowd leaves from the door slowly. Hisoka stays, however, Chrollo, Machi, and Illumi all staying with him. Hisoka has no idea how to give his thanks, they are making him seem like a king when in reality he is a nothing.

"Do you like it?" Machi finally prompts and Hisoka gives her an astonished look. How could anyone not like this!? It's... It's so incredible. Once again, he let the performance attitude slide in, the attitude he had when he didn't feel so... depressed. And right now, it feels like sadness doesn't exist. He places his hands on his hips, letting a smirk break over his face.

"It's fitting for me, isn't it?" He says before walking through the outfits.

"The line is dedicated to you... It will be my first clothing line as my own designer, outside of the family's name," Illumi says and Hisoka snaps his gaze to Illumi's.

Illumi is putting this much trust in his influence? These outfits are made to suit no other body... Of course, they could look good on anyone. But only Hisoka could truly make the outfit what it is supposed to be.

"I was hoping, you would model one for me," Illumi continues.

Hisoka walks over to Illumi and pulls him into a kiss. Hisoka tries to put everything into that kiss. Trying to show Illumi all his thanks, everything he felt about the situation. Illumi smiles when he pulls away, one of the rarest expressions the man ever has.

"Anything for you Hisoka," Illumi says softly. "Now let's get out there and eat cake."

***

It had to be the best birthday Hisoka has ever had. Spent with more people than any birthday before. Before he knew Gon, no one celebrated his birthday. No one cared to. Besides, he tended to dislike his birthday because it wasn't his real birthday. The only one who knew when that was would be his mother, wherever she is.

He and Illumi are curled up together, trying to appreciate their last moments before Illumi had to go home.

Illumi agreed to stay with him like everyone said he would. But he had to go home first, talk it out with his family, including taking Killua back with him. His parents were more strict than Hisoka had first realized. Hisoka agreed to meet them, and take Gon too. In his mind he planned the situation in as many different ways as possible, wanting Illumi's parents to let him live here.

But Hisoka knew, no matter what happens, he will have Illumi back in his arms. Even if his parents said no, their bond is unbreakable at this point. Something between them changed at the thought of actual separation. Separation that meant they couldn't touch each other at a few minutes drive, that meant calling and praying for good connection to have conversation. No privacy in their relationship.

Their closeness became more appreciated between them both.

"You should strip for me sometime," Illumi suggests suddenly and Hisoka almost chokes on air.

"Oh?"

"It's supposed to be enjoyable, right? And you dance. So you'd be good at it."

"I cannot believe how nonchalant you say these things."

Illumi's gaze meets his, giving a confused look. "Am I not supposed to?"

Hisoka snorts and kisses his forehead. "You just do you, it's one of the things I love about you." Illumi hums in response and then buries his face into the crook of Hisoka's neck.

"So, will you strip for me?"

"After we get our nails done together," Hisoka decides.

"You'll take me to your nail salon?" Illumi pops up, seemingly excited.

"I will take you to the nail salon," Hisoka laughs lightly before trying to get Illumi to relax since he had been running around packing all day. Their last few moments together, up until they have to part, are spent touching the skin of the other to ensure they were both there.