XXIV

"caring is not a weakness"

. . .

a warm mug of steaming tea was placed on the coffee table in front chenle, hyejin going to the balcony to slide the door shut, creating a barrier from the winter night and the warmth of their room.

"i'll sleep on the couch" hyejin commented, hanging her coat up on the rack

"ok" chenle replied. hyejin whipped around to look at him "that's it?"

he looked at her "that's it"

"aren't you meant to offer to sleep on the couch instead of me" she scoffed

"why should i offer if i know you'll end up sleeping on the couch anyways?" chenle shrugged, taking a sip of his drink. hyejin didn't have much of an energy to fight with him anymore.

the two lay in silence as hyejin busily took out a few thick blankets and a pillow from her cupboard, now eyeing chenles trembling body. she could tell he was cold after wearing a thin hoodie outside in the blazing snow.

hyejin sighed, taking a seat next to chenle. chenle turned around to face her in confusion, but that quickly morphed into nervousness when hyejin's face shot towards his face, feeling some material get wrapped around his shoulder

what was even more inconvenient was that he was just taking a sip of a his drink. feeling his body tense up at how close her face was, the liquid that was running down his throat may have gone down the wrong hole, sending him to cough violently. turning his face away, he hit his chest in an attempt to cool the burning.

hyejin looked at him, bursting into a fists of chuckles "awh, chenle get nervous"

finally able to talk again, he roughly slammed the mug onto the table. he was surprised it didnt chatter under the force.

"n-no" he looked everywhere but her beaming self, a massive smile forming on her lips.

"who would've known the almighty chenle stutters" she cupped her hands around his face, forcing his eyes to meet hers. this was meant to be a playful act, but to chenle, his heart was beginning to smash against his chest.

"you look cuter than me when you blush" her eyes scanned his face, an audible gulp causing his adam's apple to bobble up and then down. when her eyes fell upon his eyes again, she could almost see the sun peaking out between the fog. his eyes were always dark, but now she sees a sense of sweetness in them. dark chocolate was bitter, but still chocolate.

letting her hands trail down to his neck then down to the fabric of his shirt, her hands lay just below his shoulder. her eyes wandered to the saggy clothing that hid his ab area, she let her smile spread even further. giving his stomach a punch, she laughed "oo you've been working out huh?"