The Battle of Hogwarts

"Harry Potter is dead!" Voldemort laughed, his cruel voice echoing throughout the grounds of Hogwarts.
The crowd of people that had gathered on the stone steps outside the crumbling building were shocked into silence as the person, the thing, the monster that they feared stood before them and the boy who lived was no longer living at his feet. Ron, Hermione and Ginny cried out but were soon silenced and held back by those around them.

Draco Malfoy stood among those people on the steps, his hair astray and his lips pursed. He was desperately trying not to look as though he was upset about Potter's death. He may have been seen to hate him, but the last thing he wanted was for him to die. He showed that in the Manor only months earlier when he had 'failed' to recognise Harry after being hit by Hermione's stinging jinx.

"Draco," his mother beckoned him towards the dark crowd, who's smug faces looked down upon the last survivors of the battle of hogwarts. "Draco," his father now, stuttering desperately.

Draco's feet were firmly rooted to the spot, he felt all eyes upon him. His lips were tightly shut, because he was afraid if he opened them even to breathe he would let go and break down. He felt as though if he moved his whole world would come crashing down on him and he would suffocate. But after Harry's death he was already suffocating.

Hesitating, he stepped down from where he stood, his dusty polished shoes hitting the cracked ground was the only sound that could be heard. He stepped towards the dark lord, and was greeted by an uncomfortable hug. Draco didn't breath, he didn't dare, in case he let out the sob that was forming in the back of his throat. He couldn't cry over Harry Potter on Voldemort's shoulder.

His mother and father welcomed him, but he did not dare look them in the eye. The ground was the most interesting thing to Draco right now, the individual rocks and dust which once belonged to his home, his only home, Hogwarts, which, thanks to his 'master' was burning and crumbling before his very eyes.

He didn't hear Neville's speech, though later he wished he had. He didn't even see the boy who lived disappear under his invisibility cloak. And the suddenly the battle had begun again.

Tugging at his arm, his mother and father beckoned him to go and leave while they still could, like the cowards they were. Draco was tired of being a coward. Tired of being a Malfoy to be honest.

Without even giving them a second glance he hurried away, catching up with the battle in the great hall, where his schoolmates were either dead or fighting to survive. But he tried not to think that this was his fault. He was a part of Hogwarts and not even the dark lord could take that away.

Muttering the first spell he could think of, he pointed his wand at any death eater he could find, shooting curses at them, hitting them through their surprise. After hitting Carrow with a body binding curse that flung him back into a pile of rubble that fell on top of him, Draco's eyes met with Hermione Granger, who's lips were parted, her hair flying out of her braid as she moved to dodge Aberforth's stunning spell aiming behind her. In the few seconds of eye contact she had lost her concentration and Bellatrix cast spell that almost hit her. Draco shot a jinx at her to save Hermione during her brief freeze at the realisation that Malfoy was fighting on their side. Seeming to shake this shock off at her near death experience, she managed a little smile and was back into the fight.

Draco was in the middle of cursing another one of his own into oblivion when the battle stopped abruptly. He glanced around, his silver eyes resting on a boy in the centre of the hall, invisibility cloak in hand, and alive. The boy who lived, lived twice. His heart sped up at the sight and relief flooded through his veins in waves. Mind rushing, it didn't stop to ponder why he was relieved to see Harry alive. Green eyes met silver for a few fleeting seconds before they met red.

Draco panicked, Harry had no chance, he didn't even have a wand. The dark lord had made sure if that. But Harry seemed fearless, and Voldemort seemed in temporary shock. This didn't last long; he gave a great roar of anger, so loud that Draco was sure the whole mountain range around them went completely silent.

The dark lord was raising his wand and Draco wasn't sure that Harry would live a third time.

"Potter! " he shouted at the top of his lungs, he hadn't heard the sound of his hoarse voice say anything with such emotion before. Green eyes bore into him again, he furrowed his eyebrows. Not wasting any time, Draco flung his wand towards him and with sudden realisation Harry caught it in the air, despite it nearly soaring over his head. Thank Merlin he was a good seeker, Draco thought.

Harry faced Voldemort, and Draco knew he was batting for a right side now. The dark lord was done for with such a brave man to defend Hogwarts.

Draco cracked a smile as Voldemort died. He was free.