'Baritones and Bomb Drops' - Jack x Sana

Disclaimer: this story is NOT part of the official SOS storyline. It's just fan fiction! Enjoy 😊

Part 4 of B-sides

Author: JJ (JJthatsall)

〰️〰️〰️

"She...I." Sadness and frustration and anger clenched in Sana's throat, throttled her thoughts. Bitterness stuttered her voice. "You."

Him. Doctor Reynolds. Jack. Jackass heemar. Hugging. Kissing. Coming out of his office with another woman. Coming out of his office, hugging and kissing Hailey, of all women.

Sana had slowly lost touch with Layla after undergrad. Neither of them were very active on Facebook or other media. Sana because she was too busy and Layla because she was getting busy.

But Sana remembered Hailey's story. Layla's worry for her friend and Kayden's friend Jack and no. Oh no.

Her breath hitched and Sana took a desperate step back. The anger drained from her eyes and pooled somewhere around her stomach, pushed down and pressurized by reality.

Kayden's best friend, a doctor, a psychiatrist and Sana had never met him. A tall, blonde best man in the wedding pictures. This Jack was that Jack. Kayden's Jack, Layla's Jack, even Hailey's Jack.

Definitely not Sana's Jack. Absolutely not the Jack that had her in the kitchen for hours, delicately layering and folding sheets of parchment thin dough.

Certainly not her Jack, taking her irrational symbolic baklava and sharing it with Hailey. Folding her in his arms, dropping the sweet honey of a kiss on her forehead. Nope not at all her Jack.
Jackass.

"Doctors Cole and Mishra need your assistance in the ER as soon as possible. The storm has caused several accidents." Her words were clear but crackled like brushfire. Her impassive expression is a thin mask of stone laid over a river of fire. Her arms tight across her chest, not for protection, for prevention, for restraint.

〰️〰️〰️

Jack spent the next six hours in the ER triaging patients while distracted by the pocket-sized conundrum just beside him. He sent critical cases to the two trauma specialists, delegated other tasks to the nurses and Sana who worked at his side, sullen and tight-lipped.

That silent hostility or hostile silence, he wasn't sure which, was an intriguing but uncomfortable change from her normal pleasant professionalism. Jack did not like the way her dark mood affected his own. His body braced for some unknown impact, mouth forced down, eyes narrowed and wary.

Jack wanted things to go back to normal, him poking at her and cracking jokes which she attempted to ignore. He enjoyed playing the fool when it brought him her quick surprised smiles often enough.

This was something different. Tonight her avoidance stung of outright disdain. Jack could tell it was his fault and he felt very, very sorry. He just had no idea what he was sorry for or how to fix it.

Determined to solve this curious puzzle, he examined the tense set of her shoulders. He studied the rigid tone of her few necessary words and pondered that sudden surprising eruption of fury outside his office and the swiftness with which it dissipated.

A rather satisfying hypothesis began to take shape in his mind. His limbs loosened, breathing settled. Jack barely concealed his glee over the theory, deciding that it must be tested immediately. And he knew exactly how.