Chapter 15

(Fanart by Aimyneko)

Thanks to some instruments the doctor had given him, he could hear with clarity what the pink and green hedgehog were arguing about. Looks like that cat is out of the bag.

He felt slightly sorry that the girl had been temporarily blinded by the doctor's attack. Heechul shook his head. He was a villain, and villains shouldn't be feeling pity. But he knew one.

One who isolated himself and became crazy because of it. Doctor Robotnik. Creator of that ebony hedgehog. Pity because he isolated him and his granddaughter from the world. Pity, because he made that hedgehog in order to keep her company when he couldn't.

He became crazy the day police raided his space ark, the hedgehog being propelled to earth and both witnessing the murder of Maria.

"Y-you what?" Static in his ear piece brought his focus back on the two hedgehogs. The Rose hedgehog pulled back, frowning.

Then she sighed and looked away. Heechul facepalmed. God, he knew the hedgehog could be dense, but that was just too oblivious. Would she have to spell it out for him? The wind began to pick up.

At first, Heechul paid no attention. That is, until both hedgehogs faced his direction. He then realized the wind was blowing towards them - his scent was a dead give away to his hiding spot. Gritting his teach, he got up and ran away. He would have to find a different hiding spot to keep eavesdropping.

"Rose, wait here."

Shit, Heechul thought. The young man booked it. He knew he was no match for the Ultimate Lifeform-- running or fighting. He fumbled with a watch on his wrist, a teleportation watch.

"Hey!" His inky blue eyes flickered back for a second. The ebony hedgehog was gaining on him.

Ugh! Why wasn't the stupid watch working?! Had the doctor planned this all along. Suddenly he tripped and fell. Quickly, he turned around, spitting out grass in the process.

"Who are you?" Asked the hedgehog. Heechul's finger finally found the button he needed.

He smirked at the hedgehog, pressing the button. His right arm lifted and saluted him. "You'll see soon enough." With that he teleported in a flash.

-cCc-

Amy let out a frustrated sigh. She wasn't able to explain anything to the ebony hedgehog before he up and left her. Pursing her lips, she shook her head.

Maybe I wasn't cut out for love.

She heard footsteps come her way and her ears flickered forward. Slowly getting up from her spot on the grass, she took a semi defensive position.

"Wow, even blinded you're prepared."

"Shadow?"

Amy gulped. Shadow had left unexpectedly and now was back to her. She had honestly expected him to run away, like Sonic. Internally shaking her head, she reprimanded herself for thinking like that.

"It's me, Rose." Came the low voice. "Now explain. You love me?"

Neither hedgehog knew it but both of their hearts were beating fast. They were nearly in sync with one another. Just moments ago, Amy could visualize Shadow's reaction. Now, she wasn't so sure. She was afraid of being rejected by him.

Shadow on the other hand, felt exhilarated. At first, he thought he had heard wrong. But she was so close, and, as the Ultimate Lifeform, he heard her perfectly fine. She loved him, not the cobalt flash. Him. He could tell it could go to ways. She would admit again what she had confessed or... try to deny it out of fear. Shadow would confess his feelings with either outcome.

It was a bit late to try to deny it as it was.

Amy shuffled her feet around as her defensive pose dropped. Shadow smiled softly and approached her. "You see, um..." she looked down. Come on, Amy Rose! Where was that confidence you had just a while ago? She took a deep breath and looked up again. "Shadow."

"Hm?" He was in front of her now, looking down at her. She looked up to where she assumed his face was. One hand slowly reached up, unsure where his face was. He helped her by grabbing it and placing it on his right cheek.

"I... I love you, Shadow. I have for a while now." His eyes closed as an indescribable feeling overcame him. It was warm. It made him weak in the knees. But most of all, it brought him one thing he thought he would never feel again since he lost Maria; joy. Happiness.

"I know." She gasped and pulled away from him ever so slightly. Shadow's crimson eyes opened halfway, watching how now, the evening glow made her blush look darker than it was.

"Since w-when?"

"A few months ago when we went out to look for you. I searched your room and saw the picture of us on your nightstand next to your bed. And not just one, but two of them. I noticed the way you looked at me in the first picture and the way you held me tighter in the second one. Amy... I was worried I'd never see you again."

Amy frowned, dropping her hand and walked up to Shadow, closing the space between them. Her arms came around his body and held him close. "I'm sorry, Shadow. I didn't want to upset you." Her head rested on the patch of white chest fur. "I'm so sorry..."

"Amy... my Rose," he whispered, his own wrapping around her tightly. One around her waist and the other securing her head.

Amy's heart began thumping against her ribcage. Her face began to heat up from the storm of emotions she was currently feeling, all caused by the ebony hedgehog who was hugging her. Hugging her.

He stayed.

"I love you too." He whispered as his lips pressed themselves against her cheek. "You're the only one I will love, Amy. My Rose."