Aaron Hotchner: She Was Just As Important To You

Pairing: Aaron Hotchner x Child!Reader

Relationship: Parental Figure (Not actual parent)

Fluff, Angst

POV: First Person - Reader

Gender: Female

!!!!!SPOILER!!!!!!

A/N: Set when Aaron killed The Reaper (Foyet) and a little after

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

     I was in the car with the rest of the team while Hotch was in another car, racing to get to Hayley and Jack before anything could happen to them. Garcia had connected us so we could hear Foyet and Hotch's call. 

"Promise me that you will tell him how we met?  And how you used to make me laugh," Hayley starts. 

"Hayley..." Hotch mutters.

"He needs to know that you weren't always so serious, Aaron." Hayley pauses, takes a breath, and continues. "I want him to believe in love because it is the most important thing. You need to show him. And make sure that you tell Jack and (Y/N) how much I love them. And make sure you tell (Y/n) how much she means to you... to us both. Promise me."

"I promise," Hotch mutters. 

Suddenly a gunshot rang through the phone. Everyone looked at each other wide-eyed but I didn't. I sat there with my mouth open slightly, my eyes wide staring at the back of Morgan's seat. 

---Flashback---

I was sat outside of the Unit Chief's office, waiting for Aaron Strauss to walk out. I could tell that the Unit Chief, who I didn't know the name of yet, was surprised to see a 13-year-old being allowed to work for the FBI.

"She's basically just a paid intern, Hotch," Strauss argued.

"Still, she's way too young! She'd need special permission from her parents.."

He was cut off by Strauss. "She's already thought of that. Here are signed slips stating that her parents are allowing for her to be taken on any trip and that they are allowing her to work with your team. There's no point in arguing with me, Agent Hotchner. She's already gotten her credentials and her gun..."

"You're letting her carry a gun?! Strauss are you crazy?"

I decide to step in. "Actually, sir, I've been carrying for a little over a year now. If you need me to prove that I can be here, I can give you a list of PHDs and BAs that I've earned over the past 3 years. I'm here to help you and your team. Just allow me to prove myself, sir," I said, determined and with a straight face. 

Agent Hotchner looked at me with a hard expression, almost challenging me to break eye contact. I didn't move my eyes away. I could tell this wouldn't be easy.

---Flashback end---

Somehow, he had accepted me being on the team, along with the rest of the team. I bonded with most of them but...there was something about Hotch and I. He saw me as strong and independent, sure, but he also saw me as his daughter, whom he needed to protect.

---Another Flashback---

It was a rainy Thursday night. I got off the bus and walked to the only place I could think of going, the BAU. My tears had just begun to dry as I walked through the rain the rest of the way to the FBI building.