KANG TAEHYUN

August 7, 2017 Monday

"It wasn't that funny!" Beomgyu says exasperatedly to Yujin as she starts rolling on the floor in a fit of laughter after Yeonjun told a pun.

I can't help but smile as she ignores him and continues to do what she is. Yujin laughs really easily at things like that.

About a minute later she begins to compose herself after seeing us all stare at her. She apologises as she sits up.

Yeonjun chuckles and waves his hand. "Don't apologize for acknowledging my punny skills," he gives the rest of us looks of dislike. "Unlike these boys who don't appreciate good humour." We all roll our eyes in unison.

"Taehyun and Yeonjun? Singing lessons," our manager says poking his head through the door. We reply with a 'yes' and promptly get up, along with Yujin who comes with us to observe.

We wave goodbye to the others and move to the designated practice room for vocal lessons at the other end of the hall. Yeonjun and Yujin chat on the way and I listen silently to their small talk.

Once we get there, I go first with the vocal coach. We practice high notes and the usual vocal exercises before going through three songs. Like usual I'm totally immersed. I don't take notice of the others in the room as I get lost in what I do.

"Well done Taehyun! You're reaching the notes better now. Much more stable!" She comments. She turns to Yujin who's been sitting quietly beside Yeonjun. "Any comments Yujin?"

She starts with a smile at me that I gratefully return. "It was really good. It's quite impressive to me how you've improved since last session." My smile grows wider and I thank her.

"Yeonjun, you're up."

Yeonjun and I exchange seats and I'm beside Yujin. Despite the awfully abundant amount of time we've spent with her, I haven't been able to chat personally and seriously. There has always been someone else to talk with her while I sort of just sit there.

She leans toward me and whispers, "You're so good Taehyun," she says while holding up both her thumbs.

I smile once again. "It's all thanks to the comments. I always need third opinions to truly be aware of what I'm doing," I whisper back.

She looks at me curiously for a few moments before nodding and returning my smile. Without further ado, she shifts her focus back to Yeonjun.

After Yeonjun finishes his songs and we critique, our vocal instructor gives us a ten minute break before heading back to the practice room. Yeonjun says he'll use the toilet, leaving Yujin and I in a somewhat awkward state.

We sit in silence that's unbearable. I want to say something, but I'm not used to starting conversations. Yes, I'm good at keeping them going but not beginning them.

"I'm going to Hanlim University too."

I turn to her in surprise. "Really?" I assume from her sentence that she knows we're going too. "That's so cool!" I say sincerely.

She nods. "I'm really relieved to be honest. Even if I'm excited to start new things, it'd be good to have some people familiar with me."

"That's true. New experiences can really be a mixture of many emotions. There's the feeling of longing for adventure and excitement for uncertainty, but at the same time comfort...," she leans against her chair, arms crossed and slightly frowning. Unsure of what to make of the situation, I stop.

After a bit she looks up at me. "Why'd you stop?"

I blink in confusion. "I-I just thought I was talking too much?"