십일

MIN YUJIN

I watch my phone buzz a bit more and then go silent. The time on my clock shows 12:23.

Should I go?

It's midnight. You're a teenager and a girl. Are you stupid?

Yes.

...You can do it in the morning.

I know.

So why are you putting on that hoodie?

Shut up.

I pocket my phone and wallet and exit my room. I walk through the dark apartment, trusting my muscle memory to guide me without injury. I arrive at the entrance and blindly search for a random pair of shoes and open the door.

The dimly lit hallway is quiet, as expected.

Dude. Are you seriously going to this? The pharmacy you searched is like 20 minutes away.

I ignore myself and walk to the elevator. It arrives quickly and I let out a breath of relief when I see that it's empty.

IT'S MIDNIGHT WHAT DO YOU EXPECT.

Shut up.

I step in and press a button to take me to the ground floor. I hum to myself and try to remain calm while my heart starts to beat faster and faster at the thoughts of danger.

The elevator dings open and I walk out nervously. I walk out of the building and the security guard just stares at me. I ignore him and begin my midnight venture.

I put my hands in my pockets and shiver from the cold. The streets are almost empty and lit only by the streetlights, rarely passing cars, and light coming from inside convenience stores. I see one or two people on the sidewalk across.

I'm fine.

I pass a convenience store. I see the person at the counter fast asleep and the rest of the store is empty.

I look up at the sky in an attempt to ease my worries of being out alone. There are stars, but very little. I can probably count them on my fingers.

My eyes return to the front as I reach a pedestrian lane. Out of habit, I look from left to right before walking across. My nose starts to itch from the cold and I sneeze.

"Why is it so cold?" I complain as I rub my nose with my hoodie's sleeve.

*bang*

My head jerks immediately to the noise that comes from behind. I see a metal garbage can that has fallen from across the street and its contents are spilled over the sidewalk. The cover rolls to a stop at the curb.

My heart is now pounding as my eyes dart everywhere to search for what could have possibly toppled it over.

Unsuccessful, I continue walking, only this time much quicker. My knees are shaking and a new feeling of being followed washes over me. I'm not even halfway there.

Where are all the convenience stores?

It feels like forever, but I finally arrive at my destination and I enter the pharmacy panting heavily. The pharmacist jumps slightly at my sudden entrance and then greets me with a polite bow.

"Are you okay?" It's a man in his 50s. He has dark circles under his eyes, and wrinkles that have come from smiling. His hair is gray and neatly shaven, both on his head and his beard. His eyes are kind and inviting.

I nod quickly and swallow my saliva while still trying to steady my breathing. He continues to study me as I walk over to him. "Would you like some water?" He asks me.