이십사

CHOI BEOMGYU

I suddenly feel the need to pee and carefully navigate myself out the dark room. After I've finished my business, instead of heading back into the room I find myself exiting our dorm for some fresh air.

The streets are dark and empty, lit only by streetlights and infrequent passing cars. I mean it is midnight.

The air is quite cold, making me regret coming out without a sweater. But that doesn't stop me. I walk the streets, no destination in mind.

The stillness of the atmosphere relaxes my nerves and allows me to organize the mess in my head at the moment.

What Taehyun said earlier wasn't something I had considered because she was the one who didn't want to talk. I took her avoiding me as a sign that she wasn't ready to talk to me, which undoubtedly stung, but I felt it was also because I couldn't do anything for her.

And what difference would it make if I knew? What do I even have to offer? I couldn't even protect her from that bastard.

Ahn Hyeongjun. He stopped going to school as soon as she found out. Whether he knew that he was found or not, I know if I see him he's dead.

"Oh..."

I stop abruptly outside the familiar building. Unknowingly I walked all the way to the hyungs' apartment. In fact, these last 3? weeks I'd come here everyday. I'd just stand, like I am doing now. I'd stare up and wonder if Yujin was okay.

"Please be okay," I whisper as tears form in my eyes. The aching in my chest is as real as ever, knowing she's only metres away but I can't see her.

At that moment however, my thoughts are interrupted when a person walks out of the building hastily. Once I recognize who it is, I stare in shock, relief, and concern at the crying girl.

"Yujin?" I say breathlessly and disbelievingly. She turns to me with scared eyes, but once she recognizes she exhales with ease. Well, kind of.

Whatever it is, she looks beautiful. Her messy hair, pajamas, glassy eyes, cute red nose. Wow.

"What are you doing out here?" I question, coming to my senses and realizing the danger she could be in. "Do you know how dangerous it is for you to be out here?" I scold as I approach her and scan the area carefully. The guard who should be by the door is chatting with a janitor inside.

"Gyu?" Her voice sound so fragile I can't help but look back. I am now a meter away, too far in my opinion because all I wanna do is hug the sadness out of her.

I dismiss my emotions and force myself to focus. She isn't safe out here. "Go inside. It's not safe to be out. What are you even thinking? It's cold and-"

She closes the distance between us in less than a second by wrapping her arms tightly around my waist. I'm caught off guard and stumble slightly at the impact. I get a whiff of her perfume and I shut my eyes. Every time I smell that vanilla my heart just...

"Y-yujin. Go up. I'm serious," I try again, my own voice threatening to break. I place my hands gently on her shoulders to display the urgency.

She lets go instantly and I feel colder than I did before. Her head is hung and she nods quickly before turning to reenter the building. My gaze doesn't leave her and I hesitate once.
Twice.

"Wait!"

She stops right outside the glass door.

"I-I'll walk you up," I stutter. "J-just to be safe you know." I clear my throat and walk over, opening the door for her to enter. She lifts her head and besides her tears, I'm faced with an unreadable expression. She stares at me for a good 10 seconds and finally goes through.