Chapter Seventeen

Chapter Seventeen

Deep breaths, I told myself, stay calm. It’ll be over soon. Clutching Karson’s arm, I began to take deep breaths. Karson lead me up the walk way to White Manor, people were already filling in for the ball. People who I knew and killed.

“You’ll be fine. Just be prepared for seeing people you thought you killed.” Karson whispered. “I’ll be here right next to you all night. I’ll keep you busy, by whispering compliments in your ear and dancing with you.”

“That’s the kind of the point of a date.” I teased. I look forward and felt a flashback coming:

“Victoria, meet your cousins: Sara and Abigail Springs.”

Sara was dressed as Cinderella with her blonde hair tied in a bun and wearing a blue ball gown. Abigail was dressed as Wednesday Addams with her black hair tied in braids.

“You look lovely tonight.” Karson whispered in my ear, I turned my head to look at him.

“Thank you.” I replied with a smile on my face. I kissed him on the lips and smiled again.

“Would you like to dance?” He asked holding out his hand and bowing slightly.

“Of course.” It was now that I realized we had made it to the ball room. It was like I had always remembered.

Flashbacks and memories hit me full force:

“Vicky want to dance?” Eleven year old John asked. I giggled and took his hand as young James and Rebecca dance around the empty ballroom.

“Victoria, may I have this dance?” Seventeen year old John asked. I took his hand. “Do you remember when we used to dance like this when we were children?”

“Of course I do.” I replied.

“It all seemed so easy back then.” He answered. He looked at me, “You look very beautiful tonight, Tori.”

Suddenly, I was snapped back into reality, but it wasn’t exact, the dancing figures around me morphed between modern day and one-hundred and fifty years ago. Karson switched between John from years ago.

“Vicky are you all right?” Seventeen year old John asked.

“I-I—“ I was cut off when Ann joined us, but it was Ann from back then.

“Tori you look wonderful! I adore your dress!”

“Thank you.” I replied trying act natural. What was happening? Did anyone else notice? I turned to Karson, “Where’s James?” I asked.

I looked and saw James acting as if everything was totally natural. His gaze meet mine, he looked concerned. He was dancing with Rebecca or Jazz, I couldn’t tell, it kept changing. The scenes all merged together.

“Karson, I need to get out of here.” I muttered to him. He nodded and he guided me through the crowds.

Black spots danced across my vision blurry everything. A familiar woman’s voice asked concerned, “Is she okay?”

“She’s fine, she is just…pregnant.”

I was going to hit for that lie later, he seriously couldn’t have thought of something better.

I felt myself start to fall and someone catch me. “Oh dear, I hope she is okay.” Suddenly I knew the owner of the voice even though I couldn’t see the face.

My mother.

Was the last thought before I blacked out.

When I woke up I was on the ground outside. The night’s cool air breezed around me making me shiver. I looked up to see that I was leaning on Karson, when he saw me wake up he hugged me to him. “Oh thank God you’re all right!” He exclaimed. “I was so worried.”