Arrival

32
Arrival

Supernova and Conner stood side by side in the citadel. Ganthet stood in front of them. All at the helm of the refurbished Central Power Battery. They were addressing the tens of Lanterns that remained.

"Green Lanterns, we have all been hard at work rebuilding Oa after the Great Massacre that claimed the lives of not only your fellow lanterns, but my brothers and sisters..."

"... We still have no idea where those Parademons came from. Or how they knew to attack when the Antimatter wave was wiping out the multiverse." Said Kilowog.

Kilowog's outburst caused chatter amongst the lanterns.

"Settle, settle," Ganthet commanded with the wave of his hands. "I know you all have questions, as do I, but this is no time for query. As we speak, there is a creature barreling through space toward us. A creature driven with the sole purpose of destroying us."

"What is this creature?" Asked Kilowog.

"We call it Doomaday," Said Conner. He stepped up to the podium. No one expected him to speak over Ganthet.

"Supernova and I faced Doomsday before, it's no joke. I'm sure it would've destroyed Earth if Supernova hadn't banished it to the end of time." Conner explained.

"So why can't you do that again?" Kilowog asked. He fixed his eyes on Supernova.

"I can, and I intend to. The problem is, Doomsday has a lantern ring. Which is why all of us will have to work together to remove the ring, subdue Doomsday and then I'll blast him to no mans land." Supernova said.

"Can't you do all that yourself? I mean no offense, but you're supposed to be a god. Shouldn't you be able to snap a finger and erase this thing from existence and bring the lanterns and guardians back?" Kilowog asked.

"I..."

"Supernova was born to protect the multiverse, Kilowog, not dole out the will of the Lantern Corps. His presence here has been out of the kindness of his heart, not obligation. It would serve you well to show appreciation." Said Ganthet with a stern tone.

Supernova sighed. He placed a hand on Ganthet's shoulder. Going all-mighty on the lanterns in their moment of vulnerability would only isolate him further.

"I could do everything you just mentioned, and it would be easy. I could remove all threats from the multiverse in one flick of my wrist, but using my powers on that level could have catastrophic consequences. You're talking cosmic-level reality warping. If even a minor detail alludes me, we could be thrown out of equilibrium."

"I understand your pain, your loss, and I empathize with you. However, I cannot, in good conscience, use my powers in benefit of some over all. That wouldn't be right, and it would force me to give up the part of myself that's capable of feeling empathy, compassion, love, and other things."

Supernova's words sparked murmurs in the crowd of lanterns. Whatever he said eased Kilowog's doubt. He could feel it when he looked upon the Lantern. Kilowog sent a small nod his way.

The meeting was adjourned. Ganthet and the lanterns began to prepare for Doomsday's arrival. They gave Supernova and Conner space to talk.

"Are you okay?" Conner asked. He could tell something was on Supernova's mind by the way he stared at the emerald battery.

Supernova smiled. "If I had a dollar for every time you've asked me that, I'd be a millionaire." He said, turning to Conner.