Chapter 1: Moving Day

Authors Notes: Please read the first fic before attempting to read this one. It'll revolve around Zane and Cole who are about to get married, and their adopted daughter Kairi. Trigger warnings will appear at the top of each chapter if they need to be.

Please read and review

Official Disclaimer: I don't own Ninjago or any of its characters. Kairi belongs to me.

A Heart between Us:

Darkness Returns

Chapter 1

Moving Day

Boxes, boxes, and more boxes. Even the hallways smelled like them. Kairi's room looked so much bigger than it had before everything was boxed up. She had been helping them for the last four days. She didn't have much, but when you look at the fact that her furniture had been moved.

Her new room in the temple thankfully was right across from her parents room. She liked that quite frankly. At least there was a yard she could play in.

Playing was something new actually. A few months back she never thought that she would have been living in a palace, much less adopted. She thought she would be a slave all her life. But now she sat on a box waiting for Dareth to pull the moving van up to the palace and travel to the monastery.

Kairi sighed looking back down at her tiny feet. They were loads smaller then most of the kids were around them. Actually she was much shorter than them too.

"Kairi!" She heard her name being called from the large golden entrance hall. She stood up and walked down the steps and into the throne room, and through the large golden doors. Nya motioned to her to come on. She ran forward and nearly ran into Kai and Lloyd carrying one of Master Wu's book shelves.

"Hey ya squirt." Kai chuckled, putting the book shelf in the back. She looked up at Dareth as he threw a blanket over the top of the book shelf

"Whats that for?" Kairi asked. She was getting so much better with asking things. Dareth crouched down so he was eye level with her.

"That's so the next piece of furniture doesn't scuff up the one sitting next to it." He told her. He picked her up and walked down the ramp so Cole and Zane had enough room to put the bed frame.

"Alright that's all the big stuff. Lets get those boxes stored." Lloyd called out. Master Wu sat sipping tea. Kairi walked over and picked up the tea pot. She still had the habit of helping. Although it wasn't a huge problem anymore. Pouring an old man some tea wasn't slavery. It was a kindness.

"Thank you." He said with a smile as he sipped the tea.

Soon enough the truck was loaded up and Dareth climbed into the truck. Honking the horn a little before driving through the small town that was within the gates. She learned that the houses once belonged to the servants of the palace before the sons of garmadon went through. Those people scare her.

Zane picked her up and placed her into the driller car putting on her seatbelt.

"Your dad will take good care of you." He told her. Cole looked around at her as she settled in and he closed the windshield. Zane climbed into his helicopter before taking to the air.

"Why do we have to leave the palace?" Kairi asked. It was all she really knew after what happened to her. She had been extra clingy for a few days. At least Echo was able to stay with them. Now that the programming that was forcefully implanted into him was deleted and he was back to his normal sweet self. He didn't remember his fight with his brother at all.

The huge mountain came into view. Something to Kairi's surprise was the very large dragon that stood at the base of the stairs. Wu climbed out of the truck and walked over to her.

Cole could hear her gasp.

"Ah don't worry baby doll. Thats Firstbourne, a friend of Master Wu." He turned and waited. Echo walked over holding his arms up for Kairi. She climbed down and right into his waiting arms. She had learned sometime after what happened in the floating fortress that Echo was in fact Zanes younger brother. So he was her Uncle.

Echo sat her down on the floor and looked up at Cole offering his shoulder to him. Cole just jumped down.

"Alright...let's get to work." He started to help them fish the boxes out of the truck and the two pieces of furniture. "Not much left now." he leaned down kissing Kairi's forehead.

"Here you are...why don't you go up with Wu and start taking your boxes to your room?" Nya patted the young girl's head. Echo walked along behind her.

Kairi skirted around Firstbourne for a moment. At least till the dragon noticed her. She blew a smoke ring at the young child. "She's known as Firstbourne...or mother of all dragons. I'd imagine she knows how to take care of you." Wu told Kairi. Lightly taking the young girl's hand. The girl allowed for Wu to pick her up and place her in the basket. The wench began to take them both up with the boxes. At least they put a small elevator in for their uses. Carrying all the furniture up by hand would have killed all of them. Even Wu said it was overkill. At first they figured Firstbourne would help, but they also looked over the large dragon. Did she even know how to be gentle upon decent. More than likely she'd squish everything.

Wu helped Kairi off the lift and onto the sandy area just outside the Monastery.

"Big..." Kairi looked at the really large wall. Wu chuckled and nodded.

"It is pretty tall isn't it." He opened the door letting the young girl inside. A few monks scurried around. They could see paintings along one wall.

"Wow...you did all this?" She asked Wu. Wu chuckled motioning to the paintings.

"Mostly just the ninja." He sniffed the air and smiled. "Smells like Misako cooking dinner." Wu picked up a box that contained plates and walked inside. That man had food on the brain now. Nothing was going to stop him from going to the kitchen. Kairi however had her orders. She would take her three boxes to her room before going to the kitchen. Picking up the boxes one by one and relocating them to her room was a confusing thing. Because on her last trip she realized she had accidentally gone into the wrong room. She walked back out and looked back at the room and looked confused for a moment. Did she go down the wrong hall? The boxes were rather large. She could hardly see up over them.

Her heart sank. Just where was she inside this huge new place?