Chapter 6: nightmares are real

Darkness Returns

Chapter 6

Nightmares are Real

Yup he was in trouble...Lloyd stood in the doorway as Cole walked back and forth with the half asleep little girl. She'd doze off, but then jolt awake at any noise. Cole would continue with his singing. Zane would throw glares at Lloyd.

"And you thought it was a good idea to let her into a haunted house with you?" Kai asked him leaning against the wall.

"She said she'd be fine. I figured with me, Nya, and Jay there she would be alright." Lloyd wasn't trying to defend himself. It was a fact. They had thought she would be alright. Jay sported a bruised chin for 'not being the voice of reason' since he was the eldest. You'd think it would have been Cole that picked the fight. In fact it was Zane.

"We learned our lesson man...look at my chin." Jay rubbed it.

"It does not sound like you have. Shall I give you another?" Zane stood up. Kai put his hand against the ice elemental's chest to stop him.

"Cool off, ice box. No good getting into a fight in front of her. You scared her enough with the first punch." Cole tried to comfort his mate. Zane walked over, putting his hand on the back of Kairi's head and whispered to her. Her eyes were only half open. He wasn't sure if he heard him. She looked so tired.

Master Wu looked inside and spotted the young girl. She jumped and started to cry.

"Nightmares hum?" It was 2am and he was wondering why all his ninja save for Nya were still awake.

"Sorry Sensai." Cole said. Wu shook his head and walked over taking Kairi into his arms.

"You all go to sleep."

"But Master Wu. You should sleep."

"I can not sleep knowing that you all will not be able to take care of your duties tomorrow if YOU do not sleep. I am an old man...I can sleep all I want later." He walked out of the room and out onto the porch. He walked further out into the courtyard and looked up. Kairi lay on his lap looking up.

A bug landed on the tip of his nose and flashed. Wu chuckled and shook his head.

"Why do they shine?" The tiny tired voice asked. Her finger in her mouth. He noticed she sucked her thumb when she felt insecure.

"They shine so they can find each other. The other who shines like them. Its hopeless sometimes, but they'll continue to search. They'll connect with them eventually." Wu looked down at her. "Here...or there. They will wait forever."

"Here or there?"

"Oh my dear. Everyone dies eventually. Even them." Kairi sat up.

"Stars die!" Wu's eyes grew wide, and he burst out laughing.

"Kairi. Fireflies aren't stars. Although they do look like them. No...some stars are other worlds, others are the other worlds' suns." He explained. Kairi gasped.

"Worlds...are there people like us?"

"Oh yes. My father was one of them. He came from the very first realm. Of oni and dragon. My brother and I aren't even the same species as these people in ninjago are. Lloyd is quarter of dragon and Oni and half human."

"Like me? I'm not human either. I'm...well I'm..." She looked at her hands. " I dunno what I am." her bright blue eyes looked around at him. They were blue like the sky. An unusual color. They were definitely darker then the rest of her though. Her skin looked like freshly fallen snow. Her fire red hair looked bright. An odd combination to be had...specially the dark black nails. They were naturally that way.

"You are Kairi daughter of Cole and Zane. That is all you need to know right now. Nothing really matters about race anyways. If it did Cole and Zane wouldn't be together as Zane is a nindroid. But they are also two males..." He chuckled. "You three are just an oddball family. It's adorable."

He watched Kairi yawn and curl into his chest. At least she was smiling now. He stood up to carry her inside. But thats when he saw it. The moon disappeared behind heavy clouds. Storm was coming.