Chapter 20: Let the hammer drop

Darkness Returns

Chapter 20

Let the Hammer drop

Cole panicked. He turned his husband over and looked him over. The bullet had gone through his lower abdomen and right out again and into the mast. Cole felt someone against him. He couldn't look away from those flickering eyes. At least until he heard the laughing. He pulled his hammer from his back and threw it as hard as he could at the man with the gun.

Echo watched as Cole stood up and threw his hammer. The feeling of dread and slight sickness rose to his throat when he realized the man no longer had a head. The hammer was a loss as it fell into the water several yards away. Marcus was no more. Cole jumped from one ship to the next till he was on the capsized ship that once housed the hostages.

"What's wrong earth ninja? Did he hurt your pet?" Adel laughed. Her laugh caught in her throat as Cole grabbed her by the neck and pulled her to him.

"Its called a husband you piece of homophobic shit." He threw her into the water. The snap was profound and audible to the ears. Both Adel and her hunter were dead. The cheers began to rise up over the other boats surrounding them.

Cole jumped back onto the Bounty and pulled Kairi to him. She was sobbing as she clung to him. It was over and they could go home. She looked down at Zane as Pixal looked him over.

"He's fine." She told him patting his shoulder. His neural net and cognitive systems are safe. No harm done." She reassured him. Patting his shoulder she waved up to Kai who took the wheel and flew them back toward the city.

(0)

5 days later

Kairi woke up and curled in feeling like she was in a small bundle of clothing. When it was cold outside she noticed that her parents liked to swaddle her. Although she suspected it was mostly Zane that did this. Wu constantly told him she wasn't an infant and shouldn't do it. Kairi secretly told him it was warmer that way. So he kept doing it. He loved to baby her, and she didn't mind it as she was 'making up for lost time.'

She however felt someone behind her. She turned to see Cole's large frame, except she wasn't in the bed, she was in his arms. They were at Borg tower and he seemed anxious. She closed her eyes only to feel her dad stand up and walk toward a door as it opened. Borg wheeled out followed by his new assistant, April. No acronym, just a name. She was Pixals little sister.

"Is he alright?"

"Oh yes, of course he is Cole. He's just putting on a shirt before coming out there. He..." he cleared his throat and pointed to Kairi. Cole's eyes lit up.

"You're awake." He said with the biggest smile on his face. She was still so tiny in his massive arms.

The door clicked and Zane walked out. He smiled at them, holding up his arms.

"Oh you look great Zane. A million bucks." Cole kissed him. Although the kiss quickly turned a bit more passionate then he meant. They both stopped feeling someone squirm under them. Kairi shoved Zane off her, her arm still hurt a lot.

"Oh sorry small fry...I haven't seen him in a week..."

"She looks to be just fine." Zane jumped hearing a baby crying behind him. He turned to look at Nya, Jay, and Echo walking toward them. The little girl in his arms had bright yellow hair, and a blue blanket.

"Oh you had her." Kairi looked under the blanket at the baby who was throwing a fit. Really wanting to be heard. "Takes after daddy." Kairi told them.

"Does not."

"She does have that pronounced whine like you." Cole smiled at him. Jay blushed and then burst out laughing. Kairi liked this feeling. She loved this feeling. She was back home in her parents arms. There was nowhere else she would rather be.

End