Chapter 12: Trains

Darkness Returns

Chapter 12

Trains

Kairi had never been on a train before, this was actually very nice and smooth compared to what she figured it would be like. She looked up at the luggage racks and realized she didn't even have any clothing to change into. She looked slightly concerned about that, but oh well. She would be fine, they were just clothes.

Zane looked down at Kairi as he opened the cabin door and allowed her in. The cabin was actually quite small considering. But the door closed and locked behind them so they can at least rest without being bothered. Zane sat down and let Kairi sit down next to him and curl in a bit. The cabin itself looked kind of scary to her. Sleeping was harder than she thought. She slowly looked up at Zane who pulled his bowtie off and placed it beside them. Kairi could see it written all over Zanes face. He missed Cole, and wished they were back home. Zane felt Kairi pull his arm up and she hugged it. He kissed the top of her head lightly before sighing, closing his eyes.

"Get some sleep." He told her. She closed her eyes and put her head down on his arm.

It was mid day before they emerged again, and in search of the dining car. Zane let Kairi walk ahead of him so he could keep watch of her. He looked down at her as she paused as soon as they reached the dining car. It looked pretty and crowded.

"Just the two of you?" Kairi noticed that Zane changed from one holograph to another. He at least looked clean now. No longer titanium, and more human.

"Good afternoon. Table for two please." He asked. The waiter motioned for them to follow before leading them over to a couple. It looked like they would have to share with another couple. Newlyweds it would seem, and they looked on at Zane and Kairi as if they were gum on there shoes.

"Waiter, I asked that we not be disturbed." The man said taking his glass and looked up Zane taking a sip of the contents.

"Do not worry. We can find elsewhere." Zane offered and looked around at the woman as they continued to walk past the waiter.

"Sure, if you want to eat more expensively." The man said.

"If we have to get rid of the second class rabble then we will." Zane had been working with Borg on many different projects and had been given a tidy sum for his help. He was just fine with eating with higher class. To get Kairi away from such people. At least Kairi's clothing wasn't messy as she was mostly riding it all out in his or Cole's arms. Her hair was just a little messy. But that was normal for children.

"Dad?" Kairi looked up at him as they walked into a more higher class dining cart that had less people in it, and twice as many plates.

The butler looked up at them as they walked in.

"Good afternoon this way please." No greeting needed from them. He sat down the menu for them. Juice was placed into the wine glass for them.

Zane spoke in another language, one that even Kairi was unable to speak, but it seemed to roll off his tongue so well. The waiter nodded and left the room.

"Don't you think this is a bit much?" Kairi whispered to Zane who leaned over and looked at her.

"No at all. You haven't had a proper meal since Dareth fed you and Nya. I'm sure you are starving. Okay to be honest she really was. A salad was placed in front of the girl and her father. Kairi took a sip of the juice and smiled.

"Its very good." She watched as the man went and stood by the doors in case they needed him again. "Is he a slave?"

"Servant to the train company. He gets paid to do this job." She could have been paid to be a servant?

"Wow..."

The train screeched to a halt on the tracks which took a moment. Juice and food ended up on their laps and floor.

"Pardon the inconvenience madam and misters we're experiencing some difficulties." Zane moved the napkin from his lap and let the lettuce leaves fall to the floor while glaring at the butler.

"I should hope so." He looked down at Kairi who ran the napkin across her chest. There was dressing along one side. The lights turned off on the train and the butler jumped and pushed a chair in front of the door, while another did the same to the other.

"Train robbers?" One asked the other who opened the door on the floor. "Go..." He commanded. The other 8 people left the way they were ordered. They would have to make a run for it. The butler on the grounds helped Kairi down and jumped when the door was broken through. Zane gasped as he was grabbed around the middle and held.

"Run Kairi!. Run!" Zane felt something clip onto the back of his neck...and he was out like a light.