Chapter 5: Dates

Authors Notes: Next chapter...things get real

Please read and review

Darkness Returns

Chapter 5

Dates

Kairi wasn't too sure what a date really was, but at the moment it was nice. She had never had a candied apple before. She rather liked it. Sweet, crunchie, and the apple inside was nice too. She sat on a bench overlooking a duck pond. She giggled watching the little ducklings trying to keep up with their mother. They were so small, probably having just hatched not long ago. They were so cute.

Lloyd watched the ducks, and realized one had a limp to it. The others walked ahead of it, and left the other behind which sat down in the grass to rest before jumping up and trying its hardest to catch up with its hatch mates. Lloyd turned to look at Kairi who had stopped eating the apple. He reached over and took one of the pieces from her cheek. Smiling kindly to her.

"You are part of our flock Kairi...don't think anything else about it." He held out his hand. She wasn't too sure why he said that. Perhaps to reassure her of her thoughts, or even of himself.

"You said once that you weren't sure of yourself."

"Nope I was a pretty bad kid." Lloyd chuckled nervously. "Even set a group of snakes on a town...and then ninjago." He ran his fingers through his hair.

"You...wow...you don't seem like a bad person." She crunched back into the apple as she listened.

"Yeah, but I met these great guys that helped raise me. I'm...at least five years younger than I look because of a tea I had to use. I'm 17...I'll be 18 soon." He told her. The girl's jaw dropped.

"I thought you were an adult!" She cried out. Everyone within ear shot turned to look at them. A parent looked apprehensive as she walked by pulling her kids closer.

"Yeah I get that a lot." He shrugged as he picked up a rock and skipped it across the pond.

"So cool!" She cried out watching the stone skip at least five times before sinking to the bottom. "How did you do that?!" Lloyd looked at her for a moment and broke out into laughter. It didn't take long for Kairi to start skipping rocks on her own. He took a small picture of her smiling and sent it to Zane. The quick reply of 'she's so cute when she's happy. Thank you Lloyd for taking her to the park' In all honesty...Lloyd was lonely. He had a life that was hard to ask anyone or trust anyone to join. Becoming her girlfriend would mean he'd be asking someone to become part of a dangerous existence...and he couldn't do that. It scared him...a lot.

"Lloyd?" He jumped when he felt Kairi take his hand. He looked down to see the empty stuck where the apple used to be.

"Apples are good huh?" He smiled. She nodded her head with a loud laugh.

Walking her over to the trash can so she could throw it away.

"So...wanna go over there?" Kairi turned to look at what looked like an amusement park. She gasped at that. Now that as something she hadn't done before. Got to a fair. And it looked like everything was Valentines themed too.

Lloyd watched as his little date sat on a horse on the carousel. The huge smile on her face as he sat next to her. He had to admit. He hadn't had this much fun in some time. He couldn't help it, a laugh broke free.

The ride slowed down and Lloyd helped Kairi off.

"Lloyd!" He heard from behind him. He looked up to see Jay and Nya. Nya had a huge teddy bear tucked under her arm.

"Had the same idea huh?" Lloyd asked.

"Hell yeah. I mean come on...Haunted house!" He motioned to a large building on wheels. Zombies painted along the walls.

"What's that?" Kairi asked, hiding behind Lloyd.

"Daww its alright Kairi. We won't go in. I think that's much too scary for you." Lloyd said. Nya patted Kairi's hand.

"Lloyds right Kairi. But there is the funhouse." She motioned to the other building along the other side. "You two should go there." Nya offered. Kairi shook her head.

"N...No I wanna go in. I'm not scared of them."

She was totally afraid of them. When they walked out of the haunted house Kairi was on Lloyds back, trying to tell them she was fine. But he could feel her shaking. Jumping at every little thing.

Lloyd was going to be in big trouble...