Chapter 17: Promises

The next day, when we woke up, I was on the floor, my cheek smooshed against the floor. Not unusual at all. Nope.

Pietro was next to me, snoring and leaning against the nightstand. I poked at his cheek, not remembering what happened.

"What happened?" I asked, sleepily.

Pietro stirred and smiled at me. "Well, you did not seem to want to leave the floor, dragă. I kept trying to put you on the bed, but you kept falling off," he chuckled.

I scratched my head in wonder. "Huh. You know what? I recall hitting the floor in my dream a lot. I guess it wasn't a dream."

I stretched and sat up slowly. "I just wish yesterday was a dream," I said sadly. Pietro embraced me, his actions heavy and slumberous.

"Don't worry, Alice. We'll figure it out. Together."

"Great. I'm so lucky to have you," I said, planting a kiss on his lips. I was still a little shy about being the one to initiate the kiss. "Let's have breakfast now," I murmured, struggling to get up.

Pietro groaned and slumped backwards. "It's 5 in the morning," he complained. I giggled and kissed his cheek.

"I'm half cat. I'm an early riser. I can bring you breakfast."

Pietro was up and in his day clothes. "And miss a chance to be with you? I don't think so," he teased. I smiled and ran to my room to get changed. I changed into skinny jeans, converse, and a T-shirt that said "Why do you wear glasses?" on the front. On the back, it said "My eyes are so beautiful, they need to be kept behind glass, like a showcase." I used to wear glasses before the accident. (A/N: I didn't come up with that, but it was funny and I wear glasses!)

Pietro bridal carried me to the kitchen where JJ was sitting at the bar, slumped in her seat, snoring.

I tapped on her head several times in a set. "JJ. JJ. JJ. JJ. JJ. JJ. JJ. JJ. JJ."

"Son of a sea crook, what do you waaaaaant?" She yawned.

"JJ. JJ. JJ. JJ. JJ. JJ. JJ."

"Disco dancing monkeys won't be able to save you from my wrath, cat."

"JJ."

"WHAT!?"

"Hi."

And that's how we ended up running around the kitchen and the couch. JJ had a cast iron crying pan in her hand chasing me cursing violently while I laughed and jumped over the couch, table, and the counter.

"I'm glad to see Alice looking better," Tony remarked as I slid under a chair.

"FUDGEPUPPIES!"

Pietro chuckled as Wanda slid into a stool and grabbed coffee using her powers. "What an odd choice of words they have," she commented.

"YOU BUTT BUSHROOM!"

"I don't know, I'm liking their vocabulary better Tony's," Steve said enthusiastically.

"OW!"

"BOOGER BRAIN!"

"TROLL BUTT!"

"FLAMING BIRD!"

"CRAZY KITTEN POOP"

"That's too far!"

"You're right, I apologize."

"Thank you."

Clint couldn't stop howling with laughter. He literally had tears coming out of his eyes. "I love you guys so much," he laughed. "You're so better than Tony drunk."

"We take that as an insult towards our friend," JJ said, hugging Tony. He smirked at Clint and hugged her back.

"See, they like me!" He said, smug.

"Yeah. We think you're just as crazy as us!" I said enthusiastically.

Clint barked with laughter as Tony sighed. "I don't know whether to take that as an insult or compliment."

Then Natasha entered, clad in her black jumpsuit. "Suit up guys. We have a location for the new HYDRA base. It's in the Swiss Alps, so dress warmly."

-------------------------------------------30 minutes later-----------------------------------------

I was wearing a different outfit lined with fur. (A/N: Use your lovely imagination and as usual.) JJ was wearing a suit also trimmed with fur. We were seated on the Quinjet, ready for action. My leg was bouncing on the metal floor with soft bangs.

Bang.

Bang.

Bang.

Bang.

Bang bang bang.

Bang.

Tony groaned. "Pietro, control your girlfriend," he complained. Pietro gave him a cheeky smirk.

"Well, I don't know. I rather like the sound. Bonus if it annoys you, Stark."

And then her foot stopped. Pietro frowned. "Why did you stop?"

I was frowning at the wall. "I feel my body buzzing. Like my density shift," I said, confused. "It's condensed in one area, like my-"

JJ cackled at my stupidity. "It's your phone, isn't it?"

I pouted. "I forgot too! I'm human. Well, cat human experiment freak-of-nature-human," I said brightly. I pulled out my phone from the hidden compartment in my suit and blanched at the caller ID. Pietro leaned over to look and raised his eyebrows in a startled fashion.

"Isn't that your dad?" He asked quietly. All talking stopped and all eyes swerved over to me. Minus the pilot. But Clint was listening intently. I clicked on the accept button with a shaky finger and held the phone on speaker.

"Dad?" I had the shaky I-was-about-to-cry voice and I had misty eyes.

"Hey, kitty. It's the King of Hearts here."

I was about to start bawling right then and there.

"Hang on a minute, sweetheart. Before you start bawling, I need to tell you something. Do not come looking for me. I thought it would be better off if you thought I was dead, but it's been killing me. Please. Do not come looking for me. There's people that will hurt you," he warned.

"You can't tell me not to come looking for you," I cried. But he hung up on me.

Tony raised his hand. "We got a lock on his location," he finished. "We're arriving in about a hour."

I leaned on Pietro, who stroked my ears in comfort. "We'll rescue him," he murmured, kissing my forehead.

"I promise."

I promise too, dad.